Sign in to follow this  
Phatdaddy

If You Could Only Have One "blue Gun"

Here handguns are so restricted that only people that belong to shooting clubs, police and COs lawfully carry(maybe a few other groups). Members of clubs aren't even allowed to "carry" more like transport. I'd love to try my hand at making a holster or two but have no idea what the most popular model would be. If I were to even make a sale it would more than likely be as a display in someones home or potentially for someone to use at the range.

Just looking for an educated guess at what the likely model would be for the most common. My guess would be a 9mm of sorts but unsure.

I know it's be tricky to select a single model, just thought I'd query you guys.

Thanks a ton as usual.

Kevin

Edited by Phatdaddy

Here handguns are so restricted that only people that belong to shooting clubs, police and COs lawfully carry(maybe a few other groups). Members of clubs aren't even allowed to "carry" more like transport. I'd love to try my hand at making a holster or two but have no idea what the most popular model would be. If I were to even make a sale it would more than likely be as a display in someones home or potentially for someone to use at the range.

Just looking for an educated guess at what the likely model would be for the most common. My guess would be a 9mm of sorts but unsure.

I know it's be tricky to select a single model, just thought I'd query you guys.

Thanks a ton as usual.

Kevin

The best bang for the buck is to choose a gun that's interchangeable with other models. I think you're correct with the 9mm, Glock would be in the forefront. I think, don't hold me to it, that the G17 is comparable to the G26 in build and holstering, I do know that there are very similar Glock models that can serve one holster design. At least that way you're killin 2 birds with 1 stone.

I agree with the glock 17/22 suggestion. You can always use measurements off the website to shorten a holster, but the grip/trigger area is so close on most glocks that you should be able to use one to mold for another.

The best bang for the buck is to choose a gun that's interchangeable with other models. I think you're correct with the 9mm, Glock would be in the forefront. I think, don't hold me to it, that the G17 is comparable to the G26 in build and holstering, I do know that there are very similar Glock models that can serve one holster design. At least that way you're killin 2 birds with 1 stone.

Good advice..I would also recommend a 1911..Also very popular..

Good advice..I would also recommend a 1911..Also very popular..

Specifically the M1911A1.

I don't know what a CO is, but I'd suggest you look towards your local police. What do they carry? What kind of retention devices are they required to have? What about the off-duty guys? Are they allowed to carry? If you focus on the Law Enforcement crowd, you'll narrow down your search quite a bit. Shooting Club people - I imagine that's an extremely large and diverse assortment of guns.

In general, I don't think you could go wrong with a full-size Glock, XD, M&P or 1911.

I don't know what a CO is, but I'd suggest you look towards your local police. What do they carry? What kind of retention devices are they required to have? What about the off-duty guys? Are they allowed to carry? If you focus on the Law Enforcement crowd, you'll narrow down your search quite a bit. Shooting Club people - I imagine that's an extremely large and diverse assortment of guns.

In general, I don't think you could go wrong with a full-size Glock, XD, M&P or 1911.

CO - Conservation Officer

Off duty cops don't carry in these parts, as far as I know their holsters are issued and must be used.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I appreciate them as usual.

Kevin

You can get a open carry licence in Canada, for prospecting, or if you can prove your in bear country, and your work requires it. I know several folks in BC that have carry licences, but its restricted to a single firearm (handgun), in a certain area.

Most firing ranges will allow you to have your firearm in a holster, providing you take a course (yeah, seriously, welcome to Canada). That being said, not really a handgun, but Mare's leg holsters are in high demand right now.

-Trev

We will be right behind you here in the US with more gun control I bet. As others have said I would see what LEO's in your area carry and build to that. Here they carry full size Glocks chambered in 40 and a back gun used to almost always be the Glock 27 but not as much anymore.