Trevor

Just finished this the other day!

Hi there

Just thought I'd show you all the Fob-Watch pouch I finished the other day.

Im quite happy with the results.

Thanks for looking

Trevor

"Way Down Under"

pouch01.jpg

pouch02.jpg

post-2565-1217127145_thumb.jpg

post-2565-1217127172_thumb.jpg

Here's some more pics...

THanks

Trevor

Wow. That's classy. The design, especially the upward strap, is fantastic. Love the color, too.

Thanks for posting! -Alex :)

Thanks all very much for the nice comments.

Will be starting a black one soon.

Cheers

Trevor

"Way Down Under"

pouch03.jpg

pouch04.jpg

pouch05.jpg

post-2565-1217127433_thumb.jpg

post-2565-1217127476_thumb.jpg

post-2565-1217127508_thumb.jpg

That is beautiful! I love it.

singteck

Nice one! Like the way you've done the fastening from the bottom up.

Ian.

Nice work, Trevor, look forward to seeing more from "way down under"! Speaking of which where are we going to buy vegetanned leather from now that Astleys have closed down? For those not in the know New Zealand has just lost its' last and only Tannery (over 100 years in business) which tanned vegetanned leather. A real big loss to those relying on Russet etc.

Hey there my friend.

Yes its very sad indeed. I went down there in May and ordered heaps of stock which nearly broke the bank.

Some of the staff down there tell me to keep a look out for NZ Leather suppliers Ltd which they will be setting up now as we speak and will be importing veg tanned crust from south America or wherever they can get it and colouring it hear in Auckland then selling it. They bought some of the machinery from Astley.

I have enough at present but will need to look at this further down the year or maybe next year.

Fern Country (who have also moved) said I should see them when I need some veg which sounds like they may have a supplier somewhere in the world ready to fill in also.

You can still buy Astley veg at very big prices from Taurus Leather. They bought a heap as well but watch the price if you are to buy from them.

So thats it at present DJ. But yes very sad to see a tannery fade away after so long in the business.

I took a few photos the day I was down there if you are interested.

Cheers

Trevor

"Way Down Under"

Beautiful stiching there Trevor! I love classic looking cases and tool pouches like that.

Keep up the good work!

cal

Hey there my friend.

Yes its very sad indeed. I went down there in May and ordered heaps of stock which nearly broke the bank.

Some of the staff down there tell me to keep a look out for NZ Leather suppliers Ltd which they will be setting up now as we speak and will be importing veg tanned crust from south America or wherever they can get it and colouring it hear in Auckland then selling it. They bought some of the machinery from Astley.

I have enough at present but will need to look at this further down the year or maybe next year.

Fern Country (who have also moved) said I should see them when I need some veg which sounds like they may have a supplier somewhere in the world ready to fill in also.

You can still buy Astley veg at very big prices from Taurus Leather. They bought a heap as well but watch the price if you are to buy from them.

So thats it at present DJ. But yes very sad to see a tannery fade away after so long in the business.

Cheers

Now that Astleys have closed, I might try some Herman Oak from Toowoomba Saddlery. I expect it would be costly for you, freight wise, to get it from Queensland.

Tony.

Trevor

"Way Down Under"

Thanks Trevor, will keep an eye out for NZ Leather Supplies Ltd, and any other firms who might pick up the ball and run with it. I had considered purchasing hides from Australia - the cost of the hide whilst initially cheap would more than double with the cost of postage. Did manage to purchase a couple of sides of Skirt and some Cullotta but couldnt find any more socks burried in the garden to fund more!

Would be interested in seeing the photos of the Tannery. Early in the 1980's I scrounged a ride to Auckland with a friend who drove for United Carriers. We took a load of hides from Moerewa to Sutherlands Tannery in Onehunga. Whilst they were unloading the truck, one of the tannery workers took me around for a tour of the tannery. It was something I will always remember and well worth getting up at 2am for!

Keep up the good work

Cheers

DJ

No way not to love this design. Very sharp.

Hey there my friend.

Cheers

Trevor

"Way Down Under"

Hi Trevor,

A fellow Kiwi here like to find out if the tannery failed because it was uncompetitive or was it new environmental rules that made it impossible to carry on. Hope the 'Key' government-in-waiting will be wiser than Helen Clark to roll back those environmental nonsense.

Mike

Not sure wether the tannery closed because of economic downturn (probably had something to do with it) or just plain not making enough money here and off shore.

I spoke at length with the sales manager and he says several things one being viability with such a run down plant and a not so friendly chemical industrial plant in the middle of built up New Lynn, Waitakere, (Auckland).

When I looked around the place the machinery was all old stuff and the building is getting quite old. I guess to modernise all of this you may as well start again out in the country somewhere. It needed all new clean and modern machinery and the leather markets to make it profitable. They had some very good customers and while I was there they were doing a couple of containers full for a crowd in New York and another for Canada. THis was all good black and brown Veg worth many dollars. But I guess you need to have the skins to, that will produce the quality leather.

The salemanager mentioned the quality of the liming and how it has delcined over the last few years and how this affected the finished product.

So all up I guess a number of things have contributed to there demise but to pin point this is very difficult.

God only knows what or where the locals will get thier leather from now on. Me included.

PS I found this poster from the tannery back in the 80's. Though Id share it with you.

Cheers

Trevor

"Way Down Under"

Astley_Poster_1980__s.jpg

post-2565-1217375512_thumb.jpg