Matt Alsaker

First Purse - Bob Klenda Saddle Bag Style

My first ever attempt at a purse. Thought my wife would enjoy it for her upcoming birthday. The design Bob Klenda's from the the most recent Leather Crafters Journal. I forgot to stitch across the top of the back plate (where the straps attach) prior to stitching on the lid. I could not get my stitching machine into that area once the lid was on. I thought about just hand stitching it, but decided that might make the error more noticeable. I have no idea how to make compartments of put zippers in, so I just left the inside open. It took a lot longer to make than I figured it would, but I was pretty cautious so I wouldn't have to through out a bunch of leather. Any advise for the next one would be appreciated.

post-28681-031110400 1344306617_thumb.jp

post-28681-088747200 1344306625_thumb.jp

post-28681-081611300 1344306629_thumb.jp

Nice job ,This will make a nice gift ,clean simple and elegant . I would have done something more with the gusset to finish the top edge instead of leaving the cut edge exposed . . Give some thought to bringing the edge of the gusset up to meet the height of the front panel. Advise : Build every detail in your head 3 times ,measure everything twice ,cut once ,never work when you are tired ,keep your tools sharp and the desk top clean . Beyond that I have no advise other than Goggle the zippers and their installation. Your wife will be very pleased with this ,mighty fine gift . bluesman1951

My first ever attempt at a purse. Thought my wife would enjoy it for her upcoming birthday. The design Bob Klenda's from the the most recent Leather Crafters Journal. I forgot to stitch across the top of the back plate (where the straps attach) prior to stitching on the lid. I could not get my stitching machine into that area once the lid was on. I thought about just hand stitching it, but decided that might make the error more noticeable. I have no idea how to make compartments of put zippers in, so I just left the inside open. It took a lot longer to make than I figured it would, but I was pretty cautious so I wouldn't have to through out a bunch of leather. Any advise for the next one would be appreciated.

Very Nice! Especially for your first attempt!

I just Love the simple line horse design and border!

I agree with bluesman1951 - "clean simple and elegant"

I am sure your wife will Love it too!

I wasn't sure what to do with the gusset. Do you finish the top edge with a welt? I brought the gusset all the way up to the edge with the lid along the back plate, then cut it off straight leaving it short on the front panel. Should I cut the front panel down some? It looks like I'd only have to cut it down 3/4" or so. Thanks for the feedback.

Nice job ,This will make a nice gift ,clean simple and elegant . I would have done something more with the gusset to finish the top edge instead of leaving the cut edge exposed . . Give some thought to bringing the edge of the gusset up to meet the height of the front panel. Advise : Build every detail in your head 3 times ,measure everything twice ,cut once ,never work when you are tired ,keep your tools sharp and the desk top clean . Beyond that I have no advise other than Goggle the zippers and their installation. Your wife will be very pleased with this ,mighty fine gift . bluesman1951

That's something I would be proud of.....job well done! I don't know how long you have been doing leather work but you did a nice job on this one.

Like a lot of the other comments. I think the design is simple and clean, she is sure to like it. I mean, what wife wouldnt want a bunch of hearts given to her..... just sayin. nice work.

Good lookin piece I know the wife is going to like it.