BulletProof

Newbie, Newbie, Fresh Outta Da Box Newbie

I can't sew. I have never used a sewing machine. The most I have ever worked with leather is pounding a rivet through a piece of strapping to make a strap handle.

Do you get more newbie than that?

And yet, this 50 year old man wants to start making leather bags, pouches etc. (ala Saddleback).

Where do I begin? Online courses? Good books? Simplest and strongest sewing machine?

PS: I don't mean making a Tandy Leather wallet for my mom for Christmas.

I have been a fur-trapper, logger, log-home builder, book-store owner, janitor, shepherd, luthier, and graphic designer. Help me into my next career!

I can't sew. I have never used a sewing machine. The most I have ever worked with leather is pounding a rivet through a piece of strapping to make a strap handle.

And yet, this 50 year old man wants to start making leather bags, pouches etc. (ala Saddleback).

Where do I begin? Online courses? Good books? Simplest and strongest sewing machine?

I have been a fur-trapper, logger, log-home builder, book-store owner, janitor, shepherd, luthier, and graphic designer. Help me into my next career!

Welcome to the LWF. You'll find a lot of expert advise here and lots of help here. My expireance is the learning curve goes straight up from here... :welcome: . I sent a PM as well. DBP

There is a set of 3 booklets by Al Stohlman - "The Art of Making Leather Cases". They are available in print from a Tandy store books, or as ebook downloads at eBooks.

There is also a booklet on Handsewing Leather by Al Stohlman. sewing leather

And as mentioned, there is loads of info here. Use the advanced search feature at the top right of the page here. I suspect you are not interested in tooling yet, so these books are a good place to start learning what tools and techniques are needed, and some simple to advanced projects.

When you are doing searches here, search for "wet forming" as well.

Enjoy

CTG

First, welcome to Leatherworker.net, this is a great place and there is a lot of information searchable through the search bar. I would suggest you take advantage of all the free videos on Youtube, just search for leathercraft, leatherwork, leather, leather carving, make a wallet, etc. You'll be amazed. In the "How Do I Do That" forum there are several pinned posts at the beginning mostly of tutorials and good to know tips and techniques.

Second, there are lots of free videos on Tandy at: http://www.tandyleat...aft-Videos.aspx

Third, there are premium videos on all sorts of topics for about $10.00 a month, you can subscribe here (Still Tandy): http://www.leathercr...nal-videos.aspx

Kevin at Springfield Leather Co, has a new video on leather working, you can buy it at: http://springfieldleather.com/ he has some free info as well.

Many of the sponsors on LW Forum have info, videos, tutorials, etc. Give them a look, support the folks who support us.

There is a myriad of books and such that are available on the web, from our sponsors, from Tandy, etc.

Hope this helps,

Chief

Edited by Chief31794

You have good taste they make some fine bags . So does Sky top trading company . One to look at is www.twistedfringe.com You tube videos Dunhill traditional double Forget the machine for a bit get a good stitching horse made or bought and start there . Make a couple of saddle bags to learn some techniques and later you use them to carry your finished work around to sell. Take a look at Picasso labs making a case on you tube that will get your juices flowing Perfect patterns make perfect products . got any more questions ask away . bluesman1951

Please, please....pretty please....dont tell nobody....not to many moons ago, I have been right there and guess what...??

Same questions, same never been there thingy and never ever has done that before...hahahaa...

Now it is like a passion, hard to explain,,,leather work has made my life a great bit better and I enjoy ever moment I am in the reach of some veg tan piece of leather....or sitting in front of my stone old Singer...

So, now get ya some Stolman books, read everything on here and ask millions of questions....buy some leather, make mistakes....ask again and start over....and till you know it you have the same silly smile in your face like me, when you have finished a bag, or a seat...a holster or else....because you did it!!!!

So now go and be yourself...

Ohhh and welcome to this site!!

Aloha

Jimbob

Wow! Great responses, and thank you for all the positive feedback!

OK, so I will jump in, order some books, start reading, and come back often.

Truly, thank you for each and every one of your responses, I have tracked down every link, every maker, and every book.

I found this locally... will this do my bags? Or is this something to avoid? Help? What is it worth?

post-34318-027984300 1345952358_thumb.jp

Welcome best thing iimo is to get the books mentioned above and get a couple of Tandy kits and look at every post you can find that has anything to do with what you want to do. The bad thing is you will keep finding different things you want to try because there are a lot of people on this site that do really outstanding work. Again welcome to the site.

From the old grump, and you're not that old cause I've got more'n 20 years on you.: Welcome, and I guess it's mostly been said already, but one other thing, I think Sylvia said it a while ago but I'll paraphrase it, 'leather working is not for those seeking instant gratification' --- I generally tell someone starting out in a more direct manner -- "take your damned time!". You just can't hurry things along when working with sharp and/or pointy things, along with wet leather, dyes, oils, and finishes, , but when you have put together something of use from a chunk of dead cow skin, it just kind of stays with you. Enjoy! Mike

Edited by katsass

The singular thing I like most about leather working, . . . it is the individuality and creativity that comes naturally with the project(s).

As an example, . . . did two holsters and two mag pouches a few weeks ago for a customer. One set black, . . . one set reddish brown. Black set dyed with no problem, . . . brown set came out totally different. Looked as though different dyes were used. Most of it went away with the final finish, . . . but there was still a difference. Since they are worn on opposite sides, . . . I didn't think it was enough to re-make either of them, . . . customer was OK with the decision.

Once you start decorating the stuff, . . . uhhh, . . . it get's habit forming, . . . fun habit forming, . . .

Oh, . . . and welcome to the forum, . . . stick around a while, . . . you'll have fun.

May God bless,

Dwight

Here's some more links for you

you can find lots of videos at youtube too...

EASY TO MAKE STITCHING PONY

STITCHING HORSE

There are Lots and Lots of Tutorials here, like check out the Pinned Topics

that are in green at the top if the main list of topics - Like the main Forum page

for How Do I Do That These are especially informative posts, some of them

are written by extremely experienced leather workers....

Wet Formed Bag Tutorial

How to Saddle Stitch

Jim Linnell free patterns for inspiration

Here's a place to go that has tons of info on lots of subjects

Kingsmerecrafts

here is some Free Leather Craft Patterns

also

Leather Working Instruction Directory

and

These make carving look easy.....

I hope you find something of interest here....... Welcome to the forum!

Edited by LNLeather