Chevota

Need Advice

I have only been into leatherwork for the past two to 3 years now, and still have a lot to learn, but I have started to sell some holsters. I have gotten fairly quick at making the holster, but I am incredibly slow at stitching. It takes me forever. Right now I hand punch my holes and saddle stitch my work. I have done this up until now, and don't have any complaints other than the time it takes to do this. For this reason, I come to you sewing machine folks. I love machines (lathes, mills, etc) but I don't know the first thing about sewing machines. All I want is to get away from hand punching holes and hand stitching. Its too time consuming, and it looks like I may have more work than I can handle soon. What I want to know is.... Will an older (50's era and older) Singer do what I need if I crank by hand? If so, what model should I be looking for? I can find Singer 221 's for cheap and want to know if this would work. I know this probably sounds crazy to you guys/gals that know about these machines, but even cranking by hand would save me so much time and I think it would make my work look more professional. I apologize for my ignorance when it comes to sewing, but any info would be greatly appreciated. I did read the pinned section on sewing machines for leather, and I understand that there are much better options for holster making, but I don't have that kind of money right now.

Stay away from the old home machines. They don't have the strength, or ability to use the thicker thread typical in heavier leather work. Nor do they have the capacity for thicker items or the ability to feed the leather properly.

Take time to read the pinned topic by "Wizcrafts" about which sewing machine you should look for.

You'll find plenty of posts along the lines of "which machine to __________", and those would be a good reference. RESIST the urge to buy a machine that "should" handle leather. Take the time to read the posts by the sewing machine experts, manufacturers, and most importantly the people using them. In the mean time start saving for a proper, capable,sewing machine. And while you're doing that.....keep hand sewing - it'll help you save faster,

Holster making is going to take a machine that will do multiple layers of thick leather, if I'm not mistaken. I wouldn't expect any of the home machines to handle it. Check our classifieds, I have a machine there that would do the job and there are several Tippman machines that would be good too.

I use my walking foot Cowboy CB4500 for all of the holsters and gun belts I and my partner make in our shop. Most of them end up being between 1/4 and 1/2 inch thick and are sewn with #277 thread. You cannot use this size thread in anything less than a full blown heavy duty leather harness stitcher.

Some people sew holsters with #207 thread. This can be used in beefed up upholstery grade walking foot machines, which are a couple steps down from my Cowboy. Or, one can use a bottom feed only CB2500/GA1-5 type machine, capable of sewing 7/16 inch with #277 thread.

I do holsters on an Adler 105-64 model...not walking foot but much, much stronger then any flatbed machine....flatbed machines like 211 and 111Singer will hardly handle any real holster.....and as Wiz said, the full size harness machines are the way to go!

BUT they are soooo expensive....an Adler 105 can be had for $800-1500 a China Harness machine as Wiz has will be $2-3000...

a good strong flatbed for smaller and thinner holster can be had for $200-600....my 2 cents on Tippman....stay away from it...to expensive for what they are...

I am no pro, just my little opinion here...

take care...

James