Jazznow

What Are You Afraid Of / What Dont You Like In Leather Working?

I'm afraid of midget ninjas and tofu.

I don't like waiting. I want to start and finish a piece in progression. I hate to wait for stuff to dry... tooling leather, dyes, or finishes. I want oget on to the next step and get it done.

Actually..I'm with you on the midget ninjas and tofu, too..but I'll raise you, with celery!! Only made more terrifying, if it's wielded by a midget ninja.. ;)

Regards

Phil

I thought the midget ninjas were elves. I've been waiting for them to come do my hand sewing during the night while I slept.

lol @ Bob.. :)

I thought the midget ninjas were elves. I've been waiting for them to come do my hand sewing during the night while I slept.

That's why none of my stitching is getting done, LOL. Cheryl

I make mainly belts, guitar straps, banjo straps, masks and some fetish stuff. My confidence level is pretty low with my sealing process. I think of it as a crap shoot and dread getting a complaint that someone got dye running all over their clothes. Hasn't happened yet though. So I usually overkill with many thin coats of whatever I'm using, whether it resolene, tan-kote, etc and hope it holds.

My biggest fear has been cutting the stitching groove. But I just finally figured out how to sharpen my Tandy groover so that it glides through the leather instead of more like gouging it and that's going much better now. I get a LOT better control with a sharp tool! Why does it seem like every tool I get from them needs sharpening right off the bat?

Because every tool you get from them needs sharpening right off the bat? LOL. I try to stay away from their things if I can. I got an oblong punch from them that would punch a hole in brownies, and sent it back and I get my things from SLC now. And I've dulled all my tools so I just ordered a whetstone set from SLC to get everything back in good sharp shape. Cheryl

Suddenly I've found I'm afraid of doing something new....which has always been my strong point. I'm doing a multitechnique guitar strap and cut out the leather plugs quite a while ago. But it need a tree of live carved and stamped on it too. I have put that off for ever. today I PRACTICED on a piece of leather the same width as the guitar strap. I don't remember when I've ever practiced anything first...although I probably should have.

To make it worse, it needs to be a maple tree which does not lend itself to the circular pattern you need for a tree of life. It turned out fine, and now I can dye the practice piece and antique it to clear the colors with the customer.....but I practiced it. Aren't we supposed to get more confident as we go along instead of regress? Cheryl

I'm afraid of carving circles.

I'm afraid of carving long straight lines.

I'm afraid of carving parallel straight lines.

I'm afraid of cutting closely spaces lines.

I'm afraid of using any geometric stamp that doesn't indicate where the next impression should go (like how the 'teeth' of tri-weave stamps do).

I'm afraid of how much dye the application of finish will remove.

I'm afraid of cutting out pattern pieces. I never quite seem to get the edges as straight and even as I want when I cut them.

I'm afraid of carving circles.

I'm afraid of carving long straight lines.

I'm afraid of carving parallel straight lines.

I'm afraid of cutting closely spaces lines.

I'm afraid of using any geometric stamp that doesn't indicate where the next impression should go (like how the 'teeth' of tri-weave stamps do).

I'm afraid of how much dye the application of finish will remove.

I'm afraid of cutting out pattern pieces. I never quite seem to get the edges as straight and even as I want when I cut them.

Hi cjdevito..whatever you do....don't look behind you..

BOOO.!!! lol..

And breathe..... ;) Now go and drink some Earl Grey tea in a dark, quiet room..

(just don't stare at the shadows for too long..)

Regards

Phil

Hi cjdevito..whatever you do....don't look behind you..

BOOO.!!! lol..

Heh. I didn't say I let it stop me. But if I'm being honest, I dread all of that. Was an interesting exercise to make the list and figure out what I do dread and what I don't; if nothing else it highlighted to me that swivel knife practice is really what I need to be working on.

Heh. I didn't say I let it stop me. But if I'm being honest, I dread all of that. Was an interesting exercise to make the list and figure out what I do dread and what I don't; if nothing else it highlighted to me that swivel knife practice is really what I need to be working on.

No..don't ever let it stop you.. ;)

lol.. I'm afraid of it all, when it comes down to it.. I've only done a bit of tooling so far and dyeing is my next big milestone, followed by hand stitching..

The forum helps, big time tho.. If there's a way, not to do something, you can be sure, someone, somewhere, will have done it and will be willing to help you avoid the same mistakes..

The rest is down to your own hand at the end of the day, which is helped along by practice..and possibly a large scrap bin.. ;)

Take care..

Regards

Phil

Ok, I've decided that I don't like my stitch groover. Its the one thing that can kill a project and I always mess it up. Especially on inside grooves that theres no edge to follow. ^#^%#%@$!

Mike I hate using mine to and even though it adjusts where I can put it on the edge of an inside groove, it's nerve wracking. I recently had two grove 4 lines on a dog collar, two for stitching and two to put pyramid spots on. I messed up the outside when I got to the strap end, ran it off them end and I'm just going to use some water and my modeling spoon to smooth it as best I can before I dye it and stitch it. I needed something to follow for the spots too and used a fork I have to line up where I should put them to be far enough apart and the holes marks don't line up? Same fork, started the same place, first 4 do and rest don't. What's up with that? LOL Same fork so I had to have use it differently some where along the way but they are close enough that as I set the spots I think I can alter that too. If not my dog will have a new collar and I'll have to start over. I agree with you assessment %&)U%%*)^Y!, Cheryl

Mike I hate using mine to and even though it adjusts where I can put it on the edge of an inside groove, it's nerve wracking. I recently had two grove 4 lines on a dog collar, two for stitching and two to put pyramid spots on. I messed up the outside when I got to the strap end, ran it off them end and I'm just going to use some water and my modeling spoon to smooth it as best I can before I dye it and stitch it. I needed something to follow for the spots too and used a fork I have to line up where I should put them to be far enough apart and the holes marks don't line up? Same fork, started the same place, first 4 do and rest don't. What's up with that? LOL Same fork so I had to have use it differently some where along the way but they are close enough that as I set the spots I think I can alter that too. If not my dog will have a new collar and I'll have to start over. I agree with you assessment %&)U%%*)^Y!, Cheryl

)(*^#(*^$_@+&$! are my sentiments exactly! This is why God invented sewing machines! At least in your case, you can say, "Aww fork it!"

Mike

Edited by immiketoo

I USE a sewing machine, or one of three singers I own on a lot of my projects but since I can't sew a straight line anymore than I can score or cut one, having a line to follow is a big help :-) I have a 1908 Singer 28 HAND CRANK I use on most of my straps. I truly get tired of hearing so often how these things won't sew leather, LOL. I also have a 15-91 that's such a beast I can't keep up with it most of the time. It would sew my HAND to the leather strap if I let it. But keep in mind these old domestic iron machines won't sew leather.....Aw fork it, they do great jobs.

without a doubt Dyeing and finishing is my biggest fears

which is also a part of leather working i need more education on

I have been thinking about going to the local tandy store on saturdays to get some training in that area.

OMG I just grooved a stitch line on the guitar strap I'm working on and didn't screw it up......doing the happy dance

OMG I just grooved a stitch line on the guitar strap I'm working on and didn't screw it up......doing the happy dance

:) Woohoo!! :)

The happy dance is always good.. ;)

I'm afraid of people who don't do the happy dance.. ;) lol

I am too Phil. Where are they HIDING there happy dance. :dunno: But I've slowed it somewhat since I'm having to use a finishing nail and hammer to put my sewing holes on the overlays because my awl is making too big of holes and splitting the leather :head_hurts_kr: Painstaking one hole then hurry and sew while I can still find it. I'm working on the tractor right now, decided to do it first since it was going to be the hardest, pic below. I used a multi-technique on this strap and I like to happy dance a kick to my hind end :surrender:

I am too Phil. Where are they HIDING there happy dance. :dunno: But I've slowed it somewhat since I'm having to use a finishing nail and hammer to put my sewing holes on the overlays because my awl is making too big of holes and splitting the leather :head_hurts_kr: Painstaking one hole then hurry and sew while I can still find it. I'm working on the tractor right now, decided to do it first since it was going to be the hardest, pic below. I used a multi-technique on this strap and I like to happy dance a kick to my hind end :surrender:

I'm not sure where they hide theirs..I've found its always good to keep it handy..you never know when you may need it.. :dance:

Sounds like you're at a fiddly stage with your sewing.! That's dedication for ya when you're down to the nail..!

Oh and the strap is looking good now, by the way..the tractor is standing out well against the backgroung colour too.. :spoton:

You mean, you actually aim for your hind end with your happy dance kick?!? Hehe.. :notworthy:

I think mine has more arm movements than legs.. I shall try to put more effort into the leg swings.. :)

Now THAT'S scary!! lol

Regards

Phil

Edited by Horrrk

Actually no, I don't usually aim, I don't usually cross my happy dance with wanting to kick myself. :clapping: But if I added more arm movements right now I'd probably wanna slap myself upside the head instead. The stupid tractor was my idea (love this guys music and he sings a lot of songs about disappearing family farms, small towns turning into ghost towns, things like that. He considers him the singer for the blue collar people who identify with their way of life disappearing. So I said, 'do you care if I try to put a rusted, broken down tractor on it?' :helpsmilie: So of course I cut it out like a TRACTOR, LOL. I mean I'm working on a 2 & 1/2 inch canvas of a guitar strap and I put stacks, the steering wheel, etc. Did I wonder how I was going to sew those without splitting them? :no: ANYHOO, up doing the happy dance again to whit flag by Dido because the tractor is done :banana: The state will be easier (she says just like she actually believes it, well because she's deluded!)

Yeah I like the color combos. I was so glad when he decided on dark brown. I was tearing my hair out trying to make it work with the light he originally wanted. Every time I finish something like this I think I'm not afraid of anything anymore and that lasts until I pick up the next project!!!!!

OK, it seems like it is time to step in and make a couple of observations. I have read all the posts and they all are spot on for those who care about what they do. I found out early that a couple of simple pieces of advice will get you over all of the "hates" you have listed. First, the guy that coined the phrase "patience is a virtue", must have been a leatherworker! Always take the time to enjoy what you are doing and do it with the intent of enjoying it when you are done. Second, (this is a piece of advice given me a long time ago and it still holds true) seek out the person that has achieved the results you desire, and then ask him how he did it. ( there are lots of good folks on this forum that will gladly share their technique with you). Once you have found out how he/she does it, strive to do it the same way. Third, always strive to improve. If you follow these, you will find there is nothing that you will fear or hate in your quest to achieve excellence.

Bob

I am not so much scared of any phase of the project, as much as I am scared that the customer will not like the work that I have done. While this has never happened I am alway scared that they will not like it.

OK, it seems like it is time to step in and make a couple of observations. I have read all the posts and they all are spot on for those who care about what they do. I found out early that a couple of simple pieces of advice will get you over all of the "hates" you have listed. First, the guy that coined the phrase "patience is a virtue", must have been a leatherworker! Always take the time to enjoy what you are doing and do it with the intent of enjoying it when you are done. Second, (this is a piece of advice given me a long time ago and it still holds true) seek out the person that has achieved the results you desire, and then ask him how he did it. ( there are lots of good folks on this forum that will gladly share their technique with you). Once you have found out how he/she does it, strive to do it the same way. Third, always strive to improve. If you follow these, you will find there is nothing that you will fear or hate in your quest to achieve excellence.

Bob

Bob, this is good advice. While scared is a bit inaccurate, there is still a bit of trepidation about using my stitch groover on a mostly finished project. So, I decided to use a different technique for my freehand grooving and guess what? No problems, no more worry. Now, about 40 years of practice and I'll have it just right!

My #1 hate is pricing the finished product. I know all the whys and hows for pricing it, and I know that it's worth the higher number but my nature wants to give everybody a good deal. Doesn't mean I always do sell low, just that I WANT to. Sucks to need to make money to live.

My #2 hate is stitching anything 10+ stitches per inch. Dang english bridles...I swear the person/s who decided they should be stitched so small was OCD.

My #1 hate is pricing the finished product. I know all the whys and hows for pricing it, and I know that it's worth the higher number but my nature wants to give everybody a good deal. Doesn't mean I always do sell low, just that I WANT to. Sucks to need to make money to live.

My #2 hate is stitching anything 10+ stitches per inch. Dang english bridles...I swear the person/s who decided they should be stitched so small was OCD.

Or paid by the hour...