That is so cool Crystal!!! That's what I had hoped for when I brought up the first one of these earlier this year. People being encouraged to try new things and put thier own style into it. You have certainly done that.

It seems you dont see a lot of pieces with finger cuts on them, so this has been an interesting topic. I hope more people give this challenge a try. Neat idea Bert.

Thanks so much, guys.

I didn't draw this - it is from a book on ironwork I picked up to help me with leaves and scrolls. One of those designs that looked cool to try to tool but was too detailed for any of my tools (or me). The August challenge just made me look at it a bit differenty. I have not liked knife work since I started leather work because I find it very difficult. This is the first time I used that 1/4" blade and I think it made a big difference.

Freak - I have to fuss with the photos in a photo program to try to get them easier to see. The color always seems way off. I must learn to take pictures and make a light box.

Thanks for the comments. I needed to pull this one off after throwing out attempts #1,#2,#3, and #4 on the July challenge. :)

Keep 'em coming, Clay!

Crystal

Crystal,

WOW!

That is a great example of delicate knifework and using cuts to create shading and detail.

Is the 1/4" blade now your blade of choice?

What is the name of the book?

Johnny

Crystal,

WOW!

That is a great example of delicate knifework and using cuts to create shading and detail.

Is the 1/4" blade now your blade of choice?

What is the name of the book?

Johnny

Thanks, Johnny. I think I had a little better control with the smaller blade and the flat 1/4" isn't as sharp as the 1/4" angle. I haven't tried it on anything else, yet. The book is Treasury of Ironwork Design, I found it on Amazon.

Crystal

WC - awesome! ONe day? I'd have spent a week...

Crystal - gorgeous!

I must do something...

Here is my version of this months challenge. The bird does not really meet the "scroll cut" but I wanted to give it a try. Still need to add some shading to the leaf side but have to give my eyes a rest before I attempt that. Maybe I something bigger than a check book cover.

Johnny

CB_SW1.jpg

post-6271-1218776827_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the Great challenge! I'm a beginner and because of health can not get out to lessons so this is perfect for me.

Kat Frye

Well, here's my pittance....

I hope this falls into the 'finger cuts' category, 'cause I'm a while away from doing any scroll work. pelican1.jpg

I guess if I need to go back and add some little squiggles and twirlies I could. Lemme know how I did.

Mike

post-5374-1218908277_thumb.jpg

Here is my try for the August challenge. First off I must state that this is not my design. It's one of the practice exercises in my Al Stohlman tech tips book. I did it to try and work on my decorative cuts. As you can see I do need the practice. But I like the bird anyway. I think I'll just keep doing it or something like it till I get better. Cant get any worse. Now I wish I hadn't said that. Jinks, jinks, jinks.

Tom

scroll_bird.jpg

post-6291-1219011842_thumb.jpg

Ah...I think I see the way now. Thanks Tom for posting that, it gives me a better understanding of what this style is about. I'll see if I can't get another made soon.

Ah...I think I see the way now. Thanks Tom for posting that, it gives me a better understanding of what this style is about. I'll see if I can't get another made soon.

Your quite welcome. My problem with the cuts is I have a hard time with consistency. Getting the cuts to flair open on the starting end of the cut. Maybe my leather isn't wet enough or too wet. Just have to keep trying and learning.

Tom

Here is my try for the August challenge. First off I must state that this is not my design. It's one of the practice exercises in my Al Stohlman tech tips book. I did it to try and work on my decorative cuts. As you can see I do need the practice. But I like the bird anyway. I think I'll just keep doing it or something like it till I get better. Cant get any worse. Now I wish I hadn't said that. Jinks, jinks, jinks.

Tom

scroll_bird.jpg

Here it is with a little color added. Fiebings Antique Finish tan.

scroll_bird_2.jpg

post-6291-1219083654_thumb.jpg

You all have done a great job with this challenge. I thought I better put my finger cuts in as well.

A BIG thank you to all the participants in this challenge and to the rest of you where is yours??????

ClayM.

jse_027.jpg

post-255-1219103741_thumb.jpg

Nice work everyone!!

Clay, mine is coming! I just been busy! But I'll get it in!

Tom, I don't know if I did it right, especially 'cause mine looks more like a line drawing than anything else..., but I had a little luck opening up the cuts by using a little lateral pressure as I cut. Kinda like sliding through the cut, applying a bit of pressure at maybe 20 degrees off center. Not enough to turn the blade, but just a little twist. It really starts dragging on the blade quickly, so I started stropping between cuts, and that smoothed things out.

Edited by TwinOaks

OK, here is my offering.....and as to be expected, it's a bit more "Froggy" style than traditional!

Finger_cut_skull.jpg

post-5734-1219192548_thumb.jpg

Here is my entry for the month.

I use the Stohlman's bird also .... I use it for a decorative element on the back side of a seat.

It is relatively simple to do. Less time consuming than a lot of basketweave stamping.

Dave Theobald

IMG_1288.JPG

post-5652-1219194732_thumb.jpg

Edited by David

Very cool David and Frog hunter! I will post mine next week after I take a class with Al Gould! But keep in mind I don't do decorative cuts now because mine really bite so don't expect much.

Here is my entry for the month.

I use the Stohlman's bird also .... I use it for a decorative element on the back side of a seat.

It is relatively simple to do. Less time consuming than a lot of basketweave stamping.

Dave Theobald

Sweet! Looks great David, and is a perfect filler for that rear area!!!!

GREAT Job! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Good job Frog and David

I am enjoing all of the posts and the different points of view.

keep them coming!!!!

ClayM.

Howdy All

Al Gould was here Sunday doing a class. Here is the piece he demoed.

WC8_24_2008_012.jpg

post-70-1219776612_thumb.jpg

Howdy All

Al Gould was here Sunday doing a class. Here is the piece he demoed.

WC8_24_2008_012.jpg

Al's class was a great learning experience. If you ever get the chance to take one with him its well worth it!

WC,

Wow thank you for posting this. I am speachless!!!

ClayM.

One more before this month is over.

I saw a picture of a dove in the newspaper advertisment and had to give it a leather interpatation, with a coat of antique stain.

Johnny

1c.jpg

post-6271-1219892129_thumb.jpg

One more before this month is over.

I saw a picture of a dove in the newspaper advertisment and had to give it a leather interpatation, with a coat of antique stain.

Johnny

1c.jpg

That's so pretty. Someday...