Dogface

Angelus Dye's ?

Does anyone have experience with these dyes ? Any good...do that run when they get wet ? Give me a review... I have trouble getting Feibing Pro Oil dye in the People's Republik of Kalifornia.

http://turtlefeathers.net/text/angelus/dye.html

Thanks in advance

Mark

They have received very good reviews here from many people. I haven't used them personally, though. Take a look at some of the work by member "Tina", and you can see some of the results.

Mike

Thanks for that. I'll look for her and some of that dye. I have liked Feibing but must admit that the fumes were not friendly.

Mark

Tina here :-)

So far I only use Angelus when it comes to dye and finishers.

The dye is very pigment strong so you need some alcohol/spirit to dilute them with. You can mix as you like and come up with your own colors.

Turtlefeathers is the place I get my dyes and finishers from every time we go over to the US...They have the bigger bottles I like and are qick to ship out orders :-)

Another member who uses Angelus dyes and sings their praises is dickf. You'll usually find him hanging out in the holster section. I've used a bit of them, and like them so far. You should be able to get them in California since that's where they're from. You can order directly from them in various sizes. I'm deciding on what colors to get in order to dip dye my holsters, and will probably order directly from them. I find I dislike the smell of Fiebing's Pro Oil dyes more than Angelus, but the Angelus dyes are definitely strong, just different.

Paul

Hi Mark,

I use Angelus dye for almost everything. The dye is more concentrated. Plus they have some stock colors that others dont make. Some of my dilutions are as low as 95% denatured alcohol to 5% dye. I've been getting mine from: http://www.dharmatrading.com/products/ald3.html They are in California,,, so that will help you. Ed

Just adding my two cents. Use Angelus quite often and full strength has never seemed to be a problem. Great selection of colors. Thinning provides some beautiful variations. Like some of the others, for reasons of great service and availability, I use Turtlefeathers.com. Folks there are great to work with.

Hope you have many good experiences when you try them.

Here's a place I found while searching the net a few days ago: http://www.leatherheadprojects.com/angelus-products.html

They have Angelus dyes in quart size bottles for only $15. They also carry them in other sizes. I did a "trial run" in their shopping cart, and it looks like they charge a flat rate of $10.95 for shipping. Of course if you buy more than a gallon, I'm sure there's the $25 hazmat fee as well.

They also carry other Angelus products. I haven't bought from them, but those are pretty good prices, and I haven't seen anyone else carrying quart size bottles.

Paul

I've used them quite a bit. Same issues with black as others. Rose is actually a very bright pink. I get mine at Dharmatrading in Cali... it's much cheaper for me to get them there than to get them from Turtlefeathers due to shipping. I don't think they have quarts though...

Rose is actually a very bright pink.

This is the reason I always say, get some diluter to go with them, they're really pigments strong. In the picture I have taken the dye directly out of the bottle and then started to use alcohol/spirit to dilute the dye. This is the resault with light rose (and rose) plus the light blue colors.

post-5624-0-81316000-1350072929_thumb.jp

Edited by Tina

Thanks to all for the opinions. Tina, those two samples are drastically different !!

I am curious about their two black colors. Jet black and special black. Anyone know the difference? Thanks!

I am curious about their two black colors. Jet black and special black. Anyone know the difference? Thanks!

bump this post, I'd like to know the difference too! :popcorn:

Me too would like to know...I have always used the Jet black color (without any problems)...What's "special black" anyone?

Think I found the answer to the special vs. jet black question. The special is described as deeper penetrating. Kind of like Feibings oil dye. From the Angelus website: PRO SERIES LEATHER DYE NO. 505 & SPECIAL DYE BLACK NO. 507

505 and 507 are similar to Angelus Leather Dye Series 500. 505 and 507 have additional ingredients that allow the dye to penetrate hard and/or difficult leathers. Normally for professional use only.

Many Thanks Marlon :-)

On 10/9/2012 at 1:40 PM, raysouth said:

Just adding my two cents. Use Angelus quite often and full strength has never seemed to be a problem. Great selection of colors. Thinning provides some beautiful variations. Like some of the others, for reasons of great service and availability, I use Turtlefeathers.com. Folks there are great to work with.

Hope you have many good experiences when you try them.

Hi there, does the Angelus rub off the leather after buffing if it not sealed? I have a problem with Fiebings rubbing off. 

On 10/12/2012 at 1:13 PM, Tina said:

This is the reason I always say, get some diluter to go with them, they're really pigments strong. In the picture I have taken the dye directly out of the bottle and then started to use alcohol/spirit to dilute the dye. This is the resault with light rose (and rose) plus the light blue colors.

post-5624-0-81316000-1350072929_thumb.jp

Thanks for the photos. Man that is a strong pigment. Makes it nice to dilute down a dark brown to something lighter to distress. 

I really like the vibrancy of the colors in the Angelus. I very much prefer their cordovan and mahogany to Fiebings which I used exclusively for years.

The jet black took some getting used to. It is BLACK.

Cool as hell especially on Leo gear but I find if I dont cut it at least in half I have to buff the bejez out of it before sealing. It is loaded with pigment. not a bad thing but if you are used to using the fiebings pro black the angelus jet black has a bit of a learning curve. Having said that I will reiterate..... it makes leather black black like you used to see on leather gear cops had back in the 70's. I can apply multiple passes of fiebings pro black and never achieve the black I get from the angelus jet black but whew .. the buff'in!

I am going to try the special on my next order.