ElVaqueroMuerto

Amanda Palmer Bracelet

WKAP_Bracelet_by_ElVaqueroMuerto.png

Tooled and Colored Leather

I made this bracelet for Amanda Palmer of Dresden Dolls fame. I went to her solo debut at the Troubadour in Los Angeles and gave it to her. She asked me to put it on her wrist, a request I was more than happy to oblige.

This is a real deviation from my normal style and subject matter. It was a challenge to break out and create something in Amanda's style, while still keeping my own creative voice. I agonized over the design and spent hours researching images on the internet and listening to her new album on her Myspace page (the album will be released in September). I finally settled on an old dress form and gave it a cracked background with dark spiral-y things. The banner is "WKAP" or "Who Killed Amanda Palmer", the name of her solo album. The brick background was inspired by her Myspace background of a crumbling brick wall. The brick seemed to give the design grounding among the ruined and also gave it a feel that I associate with the older parts of Boston (though I have never been there and just seen it in pictures).

I hope to be doing more work through the Dresden Doll's new online phenomenon Post War Trade, a web site where independent artists create Dresden Dolls merch that is sold, with a good amount of the proceeds going to the artist. Check it out if you have not already.

Ps - sorry about the blurry and off-color pictures. I was apparently too delusional from lack of sleep to get a decent picture. Some photography student, no?

More fresh ideas and outstanding quality! I love the way you've gone about researching the design for her. Leather is such a perfect medium for this kind of personalized creative expression. Well done!

Would you mind telling us how you did the bricks? I like how you colored them. I really like the piece, and you should be very proud.

Johanna

Really nice work! Your style is different and that is a good thing, you even got Johanna to notice!

wow, another great piece...love the bricks....the lettering is great and the little swirly things really catch the eye...cant wait to see more of your work

I promise to post a tutorial on bricks as well as my tutorial for my leather carving and coloring class sometime within the next few weeks. I am just so swamped right now trying to get ready for the class. But I promise that patience will pay off!

Also, thank you all for your kind words. You guys rock something fierce.

VM

You do awesome work brother. Keep it up and stay out of that damn box..lol :deadsubject: