Rivits

No Liner In Back Pocket/newspaper Pocket- Any Reason?

Greetings Y'all,

I'm making my first leather pieces, inspired by Saddleback Leather.

I noticed on Saddleback products, as well as others I've seen on the web, back pockets usually don't have a liner— they're just one sheet of raw leather.

Does anyone know the reason why? Are there drawbacks to adding a back pocket, aside from the fact that it'll cost a bit more?

Examples:

pouch rear on amazon (take my word for the fact this pocket doesn't have a liner

The classic Briefcase

My guess is that a liner would make it thicker and stiffer. Making it harder to use. Also if it is a production item it could be a cost factor, both in material and labor.

Tandy has this: Polyester Lining Cloth w-Coating

Very thin and does the trick. You can get with a backing also, not much thicker or heavy.

ferg

Hello Rivits,

After looking at the two examples that you linked, I am assuming that you are making similar items. The lack of a lining on such items is actually quite common as the intent was to give the owner the true effect of having a real leather product. All too often there are cheap quality items being purchased that claim to be made of leather yet the bulk of the material that can be identified is a lot of vinyl/nylon liner material and the leather is frequently what is called "man made" which is nothing more than recycled materials which includes wood chips, paper fiber, plastics, but no leather (it smells like leather because they add oils that match the aroma of leather).

By not using linings, they allow the customer to see that the item is truly made of real leather, as it has been advertised. I stay clear of using a lining material unless it is leather (pigskin, lamb skin, etc.) unless the client specifically requests that use a vinyl liner (which is the same one mentioned above). I do however make the pocket linings for credit card slots on my wallet guts from the vinyl lining as it is easier on the cards and also allows me to keep the thickness and weight down. I can get a roll of it to last me about 2 years and still have left overs.