Craftt

Maker Etiquette

I have several stamps and each one I get usually gets smaller and smaller. All I use now is a small one that says "McCabe" in a italic script to resemble a signature but legible. That is all I need and I usually place it somewhere you'd expect to see a signature or somewhere tactful.

I recently got an email from a guy who purchased a used gun and it came with one of my holsters that had that small simple stamp on it, he was very impressed with the quality and googled "McCabe holsters" and it quickly brought up my site and contact info and he was able to send me the email. That stamp did exactly what it was supposed to and it didn't matter where it was at so it would have been pointless if it were "in your face" so to speak. It didn't have to say "maker" or "McCabes custom Leather" or Altoona Pa or any type of Logo or picture or anything else (yes I have those stamps too). When I first started I wanted them to be large and have all that on them and be right out in the open, now I I just do the best job I can on the item and let the quality show because that's the real makers mark but people need to be able to track me down if need be, for this reason I don't think initials really do any good although that's exactly what I used in the beginning.

Also none of what I said is saying there's anything wrong with putting a stamp front and center or wherever, we can all do what we want,I'm simply sharing what works for me, your results may differ.

On belts I put my stamp on the back side between the Chicago screws along with the date that way if they ever come back for any reason I know exactly how old it is, this mainly only applies to the single layer ones I sell in my store, I don't date the double layer gun belts I sell online since I have a better tracking method for those and make them to order.

thanks for all the respones. i just did a guitar strap and did put it where the adjustment strap covered it. i do like the way it was incorporated into the pattern on the back.

thanks all

I will not sell a "sterile" piece. Even if the customer asks. If they want something that is not marked then they can find someone else to make it. I believe that the product is MINE until it is theirs. As I do not do many custom orders and make and sell stuff I want to make, it will be made with my mark. On custom orders, my price is much higher and I still mark it. I choose to place my mark predominantly yet not to distract.

As for the Ford Debate... I agree that Ford has a name and brand. That name and brand was developed by selling a product that was identifiable and marked.

Coach and the others... same same... they built the brand. In many cases it is the name that sells. How did buyers know the brand? Duh.. they were marked.

This argument either way should be not if you should mark or where the mark should be but do I do the best job possible on every piece, stitch or carving and does it deserve to be identified with my mark. If so, then yes you should SELL the item. I got a ton of stuff in the trash with my mark on it.

I would agree with that although if I was being asked to leave my mark off an item on any type of regular basis I would take a long look at why, is it too big, in the wrong spot, not attractive etc.. Or is it possible they are trying to re-brand it.

I wouldn't sell anything without my stamp but that has never been an issue, I've only had one person ask me if I could leave it off and his reason was because he thought it would leave an imprint in his skin(it was an IWB holster). I assured him that would not happen and told him I would make sure it wasn't on a part that would come in contact with his skin and he was fine with that. I will admit that the stamp I was using at the time was much bigger than the one I use now and right around this time is when I had a smaller one made.

This brings up the fact that if you're making a lot of different sized items you really need several stamps so you can use one that's appropriate to the piece. I would also like to get one of the branding types for some items that can't be stamped.

I also agree with Billymac. I have personalized virtually all of my work for years, but only in the last couple years purchased actual makers stamps. With all the thoughts and considerations mentioned in this discussion, I had three different sizes of stamps made as well as a very small one with just my initials. I try to place as discreetly as possible, but always make a point of marking. It's my work, I try to do my best, and I am proud of my projects!

When I use my makers mark, I try to put where it is hidden; back of belt or bracelet, inside of book covers, inside checkbook covers &wallets on a little tab glued in the corner or interior design, integrated into the design, or on the bottom of vases, coasters, etc. The only time I put my makers mark on the outside is when someone specifically requests it. I will sign my pictures in the corner instead of using my makers mark. IMHO, it's just more tasteful that way.

I don't mind hiding out in my work, and I come from a background where classic work is neither decorated, nor branded. I perfer to buy blank T-shirts and hats. My preferences aside, I see a lot of people who feel that part of handmade work is a brand. They are so fixed in the brand mentality, and in fairness the idea of brands everywhere is growing. So if you deny them brand they don't know what they have in their hand any more. I have been adjusting to the idea. I used to think only Ford, etc... had a brand, but we live in a world where brand is a thing to discuss through your resume...

I don't mind hiding out in my work, and I come from a background where classic work is neither decorated, nor branded. I perfer to buy blank T-shirts and hats. My preferences aside, I see a lot of people who feel that part of handmade work is a brand. They are so fixed in the brand mentality, and in fairness the idea of brands everywhere is growing. So if you deny them brand they don't know what they have in their hand any more. I have been adjusting to the idea. I used to think only Ford, etc... had a brand, but we live in a world where brand is a thing to discuss through your resume...

My thoughts too. I would not be the guy to come down on Makers that mark their work prominently, your style is yours. I won't put my mark out front because I feel that the quality of my work should speak for itself. I WILL mark my work every time, if it doesn't offend the client, but always discretely. I have had Family ask for my mark out front, and for them, I do it. They are proud of me and my leavings, and I like to please them, as well as my customers.

If you feel that you need to have your mark front and center, do you, you have spent your time and energy to get that article out. I would leave you all with the thought: if it is really good, a discrete mark will leave the world wondering and ASKING, Who did that?!?

I respect and learn from each and everyone of you, please take my comments as commentary not criticism,

Al

I remember a time when one's work was an extension of oneself. But increasingly one is characterized by one's work. This is why brand is so important, and why we resist it. If one comes from the individualist, imortal soul characterization of the person, thinking of oneself in brand terms may seem reductive. But we are no longer citizens we are taxpayers or consumers. If you aren't a taxpayer/consumer, you don't exist. Of course there is a degree to which hand work could be seen as a rejecting sideshow to these trends, but if one wants to be relevant to the modern world one may have to find a different course.

Edited by Massive