Sign in to follow this  
barbiesdude

Cutting Surface

What do you guys use for a cutting surface on a work table? I'm looking to move up from my wife's kitchen cutting board, but anything I've found so far with any size is major $$$$. Looking to stay under $100.

I went to Wal-Mart in the craft or sewing section and got a cutting mat for something like $15. It is a large one, 12" X 18", and it works great for my needs. I have it on my desk in my office and use it for all cutting.

If the table you're using to cut is solid, just cover it with 1/8" or 1/4" masonite. Comes in 4'x8' sheets, won't dull your tools, lightweight so it's easy to replace. Should have a chunk in any building material store. Most places will sell ya a half sheet (4'x4') if that's easier to transport. Just drop a small screw in each corner so it don't move on ya, back em out when it needs replacin'.

Less than$10, likely.

I keep a couple of the cutting mats you can get in the crafts area of Walmart, Kmart, etc. They are really cheap and last a long time. I don't punch on them for that I use a professional punching board or a poly board, the pro board is expensive but the poly boards are pretty cheap. If you punch on the cutting mats they wont last long. I attached a picture of a couple of samples of the type of board I use.

Chief

post-6362-0-38813700-1355247016_thumb.jp

Thanks guys, great ideas. I also found a place on ebay that sales scrap pieces of poly. Would that work for punching?

Thanks guys, great ideas. I also found a place on ebay that sales scrap pieces of poly. Would that work for punching?

As long as it's 3/8" thick, might get by with 1/4" but I think 3/8" would be better. You can cut on these as well, I don't because they have like a pebbled surface and my knives jump sometimes, the ones you get from walmart etc are perfect. Poly boards can be obtained from Springfield Leather Company, Tandy, and most anywhere that does leather. They are relatively inexpensive and don't have to be very big for punching, you can keep moving the leather over the poly board.

Chief

I punch right on the tooling block, with a piece of heavy leather scrap under the project. That same piece of scrap can be used for testing the dye color.

There are some older threads about cutting and layout surfaces. Somebody is getting 4x8 or so sheets of some sort of polyboard. Do a search if you are interested in more info.

Tom

I use this black poly stuff, I got it from a construction company, they use it to line their rock hoppers. It's 1/2in. thick,this piece was left over scrap. Works great for cutting, the knife glides right over it with little drag. If you want more info e-mail me at gvonheeder@optimum.net

post-19113-0-80538800-1355257411_thumb.j

what about that smooth rubber floor tile that hospitals use? That's what my pondo board reminds me of.

I have found that redsheet, a dense red rubber works well for both punching and cutting. I use 1/4 inch ,and it is quite cheap. Should be available at any industrial rubber supplier. Surface is slightly textured and glossy ,resists stain pretty well if wiped off while still wet. Gump