thekid77

How To Put A 45 Degree Bevel On A Circular Piece?

Hey friends,

I am trying to make a 45 degree beveled edge on a circular piece of leather that will be the bottom of a dice cup. I have tried to bevel by hand, scribing a line on the inside of the leather which is offset the thickness of the leather. Then I use the french edger tool to skive the leather from the scribed line to the bottom...but I get an uneven edge...

Can anyone out there suggest a better way of doing this?

I am thinking about trying to jig something up where I could use the sanding drum from a dremel tool or something to get a nicely beveled even 45 degree edge, but my mind goes blank...

Any advice/expertise is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!! =)))

Edited by thekid77

Actually, what you're doing IS the accepted method - you're right! If you aren't happy with the result you are getting, you could cut it a little high and finish it with coarse sand paper.

If you're doing dozens or hundreds of these, a guy could tilt the table of a belt or disc sander to a 45 deg angle, though this seems extreme if you're only talking about a few pieces.

When making these bevels, it may be beneficial to cut to just above the bottom of the leather (leave just a small 'flat' on the bevel). It won't matter to your sewing, and you won't have that feather edge to contend with.

I use an edge beveler for that not the french edge skiving tool, then finish it off on a drum sander.

Edited by Tree Reaper

I don't trust myself and my abilities on something that technical. I try to devise some kind of a helper.

If I was even doing only one of these, . . . but knew it was for a special purpose, . . . I'd make a sanding jig like in the drawing. It will make the bevel completely the same all the way around.

The key to it, though, is the round disk you must make and put on the dowel rod. Put the plate on the rod, . . . clamp the jig up close to the sanding disc so you sand the edge of the disc at a 90 degree angle, . . . use the sander to make your disc perfectly round, and as near the diameter of the leather as you can get it.

Then rubber cement your leather to the sanding disc, . . . turn the jig so it is at a 45 degree angle, . . . clamp it firmly but not rigid in the lower left corner, . . . turn on your sander, . . . swivel the disc over to touching the sandpaper, . . . rotate your disc, . . . voioa, . . . perfectly sanded bottom.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-56857000-1355928092_thumb.jp