Charrell88

Spiderwire

Has anyone ever used spider wire to sew leather? I have put some through my machine and it seems to be much stronger/tighter than regular 207.... I just wondered if anyone else was using this... I would be using it on holsters. The only thing I dont like about it is that you dont get the decorative look from the white or natural or black thread.

Never heard of spider wire. Got a link to some info?

Given proper construction, where the leather is bonded well, and the seams won't see any severe stress, I think it would be 'okay'....but not really look that nice. For high stress applications, I'd still prefer to use thread instead of spiderwire....if it's gonna fail i'd prefer for the thread to break instead of pulling through the leather. You can always repair a stitch, but if it's pulled through and cut/torn the leather, you're looking at a much bigger repair job.

I think some consideration is also due for 'abrasion' factors....you'd be very unhappy if the line wore some grooves in you're stitcher.

There seems to be a huge misconception about thread.

Thread should always give way before the base material as it is easier to replace stitching than make a whole new item. Even with a law enforcement holster in the very unlikely event the stitching gives way then the weapon can still be drawn. If the leather comes apart at the stitching then there are complete loops of stitch just sitting there waiting to grab the front sight.

If your holster comes apart then it is more to do with poor design and manufacture than the weight of thread you used.

On top of that I would argue that this "thread" is going to destroy both your upper and lower thread path. Recently I had a customer wanting to use something similar in one of my machines but I will not make a sale to him as there will be all sorts of technical problems down the track.

Good stuff for fishing, but I wouldn't use it to sew. There is no stretch or give, and I will bet it would act like a bandsaw blade on your leather. Everytime your leather would flex, there is going to be some leather fiber destroyed. Just my two cents worth.