I bought some fiebings saddle tan colored dye, but very displeased with it.very orangey.what could I add to it to tone down the orange?

brown???

Not sure just what 'orangey' is, but I'd try a bit of green. Note that the green is quite loud by itself, so just a bit.

Stef, . . . I used to work in a refinish paint factory, . . . and what you are asking is what we used to call "tinting", . . . changing the color.

First, . . . go slow, . . . anything you do will have FAR reaching effects on whatever your finished product is.

Secondly, . . . I use Feibings saddle tan, oil dye, . . . and have found that the finishing process usually tones down the "orange" you are talking about. Fact is, I have a gun belt, holster, and mag carrier awaiting finishing even right now.

Third, . . . one of the real problems in "tinting" dye, . . . is being consistent. If you happen to hit on a beautiful shade today, . . . will you be able to duplicate it some day in the future. The probable answer is "NO", . . . unless you are fastidious about your amounts and documentation. You may be better off to put it aside and go buy another color of dye. At least then you will be able to duplicate it some day in the future.

Last, . . . leather is a funny medium in which to work. Most of what I said above can be thrown out the window by a certain piece of leather. I have made different items out of the exact same hide, . . . dyed them in the same pan, . . . dried them on the same drying line, . . . and they come out a shade or two darker or lighter, . . . just depending on how the old cow wanted to take the dye that day.

But, . . . welcome, . . . experiment, . . . have fun. Leatherworking has it's ups and downs, . . . but it is still a fun experience.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

The orange tinting is what makes Saddle Tan different than the other tans. Put some neatsfoot oil on the piece, and that will darken it so as to be a bit more brownish-tan, while still having a hint of orange.

Paul

Orange is some mix of red and yellow. Brown is some mix of red and green. (Note there is yellow in both on account of green is yellow and blue. So, browns are some mixture of all 3 primary colors. Go to your local paint store or home improvement store or art supply store and buy a color wheel. I got mine at Lowes some years ago for a couple bucks. It may not have the color on it you are wanting but it will explain what to add to make the color you have change in the direction you want it to.

You would add blue to orange to tilt it toward brown. Blue and yellow make green. Green and red make brown. The yellow is already in there when you have something orange. (Oddly the blue and red make violet also, so now you see why brown is such a muddy color, literally)

Now I'll really throw you a loop. In the dye world, Black is actually REALLY dark blue. So you could add a touch of black to get a more brown color. One drop can be too much.

I'd also suggest you contact the manufacturer of the dye you use for mixing advice. If they make the product themselves, they will have an expert on staff that will know how to alter the product.

I use saddle tan all the time. Once I oil and finish it it really tones it down. I sometimes will thin it down a bit and that also does the trick.

I will try some different things this weekend. Thanks!!