Good Day everyone,

just want to let you all know that this forum is been so a great help for me, pretty much every questions I had in the past has been asnwers by reading. The GF think I'm obsece....lol

The answer I'm looking for is

I have to make a few belts and the clients want the Fiebings Leather dye (USMC) and the letters red. How do I do that, hand paint each letters reed very carefully with a brush then very careful the black? Or anyone get a better and faster Idea?

it is for a fire Dept, ( radio Belt) so I know I have to use oil dye well I guess.

Any help will be appreciated please :helpsmilie:

Rock

Just in case you missed electrathon's post, . . . dye the whole belt black. Carefully paint in the red letters.

One caution with USMC black, . . . make sure you BUFF that belt from end to end, . . . edges, . . . both sides, . . . then do it again. USMC black is a good dye, but it leaves a ton of unused pigment on the surface of you item, . . . it has to be buffed off.

Go to the tandy store, . . . get some Eco Flo red, . . . be sure to put whatever top coat you are using on the belt, . . . then paint in the red.

You should be good to go.

May God bless,

Dwight

Before i dyed it all black i would try it some scrap just make sure the red will cover. In the past i have had trouble using one color over the other. Now i do the paint / dye around letters or whatever.

Before i dyed it all black i would try it some scrap just make sure the red will cover. In the past i have had trouble using one color over the other. Now i do the paint / dye around letters or whatever.

That's pretty much what I do. I have my doubts that red dye would ever cover USMC or any other black dye. Usually I just spray the entire piece the color of the lettering (red in this case) and then brush the black around the letters. I just ordered some liquid latex to try using that as a mask so I can color the letters and then run over everything with black using my airbrush.

But, you will definitely want to buff that thing until your arm feels like it's going to fall off. Usually I do my belts with a natural back, but the customer wanted all black on this one, so that had me worried the hole time knowing that he wears khakis. Needless to say, I buffed and buffed and buffed and buffed and then made sure it was sealed really well with Resolene and buffed some more to make sure there wasn't one bit of pigment coming through.

Edited by Cyberthrasher

Wonderful

Tks so much now time to get to work, again the team come together and provide outstanding answers

God bless you all

I DO hope you're taking the advise of those members who suggested you try this on scrap first. Don't even need to be letters, really, just dye a piece black and then put the red over it. "Wasting" a piece of scrap may well save you some aggravation.

Yes, definitely use scrap!! I'm working on a project right now and I decided to try out some new dying techniques, so I did a quick little sample of the blue flames I'm supposed to be doing on a small strip that I'm going to use for an amp handle. The blue came out HORRIBLE and had I done that to the real project I'd be down a couple hundred dollars in labor having to start over from scratch. But, since I used the small scrap, I'm just gluing it up anyway to use as my amp handle prototype as planned - no losses :)

Red dye over black won't work; I've tried it. Your best bet with the letters would be to use acrylic paint (e.g. Cova Colors). Then apply Tandy's Antique Gel Black over the whole thing and wipe it off. That'll fill in the areas around the red and help with any of those "grey" areas that you get with USMC Black.

Yes, definitely use scrap!! It is way cheaper that way.. Been down a few $$$$$ before, ""projects gone wild" it is amazing how fast we learn from our mistake.

Again thank you

Will be visiting Tandy this week. BTW going to Arizona for the leather craft show can wait to escape the cold Canadian winter.