tbhogstrom

Let's Talk About Overstitchers And Pricking Irons.

Hey all,

So I'm a new leatherworker, just getting into everything, buying all the tools and what not. I have another question (there seems to be many topics about this) about overstitchers and pricking irons. I am very into using the right tools for what I am working on. Where do I get a quality, but only moderately expensive, pricking iron?! It seems to me that some people sell pricking irons and diamond stitching chisels to be the same thing. Are they not two different tools? I am interested in buying a pricking iron that marks "/////". These markings will then be pushed through by a sewing awl. I do not want to "punch holes in a precise diamond shape" (excerpt of above link). If this not possible for a moderate price, I think I have seen overstitch wheels that mark a 45 degree line (again, '//////'). Can anyone point me in the right direction or straight up tell me "buy this one."?

Sorry for the rant

Tyler

Dixons make good ones, and much cheaper than Blanchard. They also make angled pricking whells that go ///// but they are not cheap.

Edited by Matt S

that is a nice looking chisel..gonna order one....

Just hope Mike2 don't copy me................lol

Currently, I'm using the stitching chisel kit that Tandy sells and have had good results from it

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/department/tools/stitching-lacing-tools/3009-00.aspx

Everything in the link was stitched using the Tandy kit

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=46724#entry295406

I will say that it does stretch out the width of the leather, so taping the backside is a good idea to try and minimize the leather from changing size, and using thick thread is a must because it leaves a fairly large sized hole, but for me, it gave excellent results.

As a side note, I am going to eventually buy some pricking irons and a diamond awl, but until I have the money for those, I'll continue with what I have :)

Hey all,

So I'm a new leatherworker, just getting into everything, buying all the tools and what not. I have another question (there seems to be many topics about this) about overstitchers and pricking irons. I am very into using the right tools for what I am working on. Where do I get a quality, but only moderately expensive, pricking iron?! It seems to me that some people sell pricking irons and diamond stitching chisels to be the same thing. Are they not two different tools? I am interested in buying a pricking iron that marks "/////". These markings will then be pushed through by a sewing awl. I do not want to "punch holes in a precise diamond shape" (excerpt of above link). If this not possible for a moderate price, I think I have seen overstitch wheels that mark a 45 degree line (again, '//////'). Can anyone point me in the right direction or straight up tell me "buy this one."?

Sorry for the rant

Tyler

Pricking wheels and irons are for pricking out and over stitch wheels are for running over completed stitches but can be used to mark out stitch spacings. I personally prefer wheels because they are faster and go around curves and bends easier and neater. Dixon and Blanchard pricking irons and wheels are forged and hand cut high quality professional tools and will last a lifetime in fact many lifetimes and have a high resale value. Goods Japan and Tandy are poor quality machine cut Chinese manufactured tat at an over inflated price. Comparing Dixon and Blanchard tools to goods Japan and Tandy is like comparing a hand stitched oak taned leather belt to a plastic belt from Wallmart.

Not sorry for the rant

Regards Les third generation harness maker STILL using my Dads and Granddad's J Dixon Tools.

While high quality tools are indeed a nice thing to have, sometimes compromises must be made in order to get things done.

Here in the US, Dixon tools can be very expensive, and I know personally that I cannot buy those tools with the current funds I have. For the time being, Tandy and GoodsJapan will have to do even though I know that they are inferior products and cost more than they're worth (especially with some of what Tandy sells).

Edited by Alamo

Pricking wheels and irons are for pricking out and over stitch wheels are for running over completed stitches but can be used to mark out stitch spacings. I personally prefer wheels because they are faster and go around curves and bends easier and neater. Dixon and Blanchard pricking irons and wheels are forged and hand cut high quality professional tools and will last a lifetime in fact many lifetimes and have a high resale value. Goods Japan and Tandy are poor quality machine cut Chinese manufactured tat at an over inflated price. Comparing Dixon and Blanchard tools to goods Japan and Tandy is like comparing a hand stitched oak taned leather belt to a plastic belt from Wallmart.

Not sorry for the rant

Regards Les third generation harness maker STILL using my Dads and Granddad's J Dixon Tools.

So I went with the Dixon pricking irons (half inch and 2 teeth) I wanted the small wheel, but it would have come to over 200, and I just don't have the cash for that. Thanks for the advice though, and when I have the money, that small pricking wheel will be mine. Thank you for the note about overstitch wheels, I never realized so many people were....utilizing them for a different purpose (misusing).

Thanks!

That link that particle provided will take you to Osborne's website. I have Tandy's diamond chisel and Osborne's saddle chisel the Obsorne chisel is definitely a higher quality tool (IMO) but you definitely pay more. Not as expensive as the ones from Dixon or Blanchard but also not the same quality. IMO Osborne tools are pretty middle of the road, which isn't bad, and their tools dominate by tool box (punches, bevelers, , etc.).