Sign in to follow this  
leatherpoker

snake skin pattern??

Hi, I believe i saw a snake skin pattern either carved or painted on someones project posted in the galley section. It was black and red and looked totally awesome! possibly on some armour?

Finally looks like I will be able to get some time in my shop to play and would love to attempt it!

any hints on how to or where to find an example?

Thanks for all your help!

Rob

I tried it once

2479407349_209f49e034.jpg

Just use a mulefoot tool to do the scale and then colour it. That was taught to me by Sandy.

singteck

also in AL Stolmans book" How to Make Belts", there is a very good description

on how to make the snake belt.

Very good looking Singteck,fantastic pieces!

While we're at it, has anyone ever tried constrictor type patterns. I have a model for a guitarstrap drawn up and I'm thinking perhaps use the stylus and texture them from transfer film and antique it since they're more irregular in shape but would be awesome to find out if anyone tried constrictor.

I do quite a few projects with that pattern. I use a homemade stamp similar to a mulefoot.Dave

FauxPhil1.jpg

Marlindressed.jpg

Fauxsnake.jpg

snakeskinstamp.jpg

WOW!!!

Thanks so much for the information! and the super crisp clear pictures! the gun sling is exactly what i am planning on doing!

I am amazed at the skill and ability displayed on this site!

Thanks again to all who responded!

Rob

Hi Rob didn't mean to post and run, but had to eat and had a customer come pickup his stuff.Now I can help you with a few tips.Not knowing your skill level, I will be basic.Layout your window to be stamped, and allow for your border stamping.I do the border first then lightly mark some reference lines the whole length about 1/2" apart.They will help you to keep the tooling straight, but since you are imitating a real snake, don't worry about being too straight as nature is very seldom symetrical.I find it easier to start at the bottom and go up, try some on some scrap and see which is easier for you.Remember to do partial stamps near the edges, tilting forward,back, and to the side to fill in.If you are doing a smooth border make sure you bevel the inside edge, as it looks much better.Keep it damp enough to get even impressions the whole length. Now , decide which snake pattern and colors you wish to use.I dye the main lighter color first then when dry, apply the darker color with a good quality brush. When done I apply Fiebings Leather Sheen over the tooled area then when dry apply Hi-lighter and wipe off.Hope this helps. glad you liked the pics.Dave

Hi Rob didn't mean to post and run, but had to eat and had a customer come pickup his stuff.Now I can help you with a few tips.Not knowing your skill level, I will be basic.Layout your window to be stamped, and allow for your border stamping.I do the border first then lightly mark some reference lines the whole length about 1/2" apart.They will help you to keep the tooling straight, but since you are imitating a real snake, don't worry about being too straight as nature is very seldom symetrical.I find it easier to start at the bottom and go up, try some on some scrap and see which is easier for you.Remember to do partial stamps near the edges, tilting forward,back, and to the side to fill in.If you are doing a smooth border make sure you bevel the inside edge, as it looks much better.Keep it damp enough to get even impressions the whole length. Now , decide which snake pattern and colors you wish to use.I dye the main lighter color first then when dry, apply the darker color with a good quality brush. When done I apply Fiebings Leather Sheen over the tooled area then when dry apply Hi-lighter and wipe off.Hope this helps. glad you liked the pics.Dave

Thanks for your input DC!

Never struck me you could just use the antiquing to create the body patterns. Just gotta keep that KISS method in the head and not overthink it.

Your imitation looks great and I'm gonna have a lookse at the albumconvolute I'm using. I think it might be more erratic on the snakes head, forgot to write I'm looking to do a constrictors head and tail and nothing in between.

I wanna take the opportunity to thank you DC for the simple roundbraid tut you had posted before the big -08. I had practised some with it from kingsmere's online tut but reading your post just made the puzzlepieces come together and I've been on it ever since.

Tom

Here is one we did with scales. It's all carved.

dragon-scales-front.jpg

dragon-scales-front-top.jpg

dragon-scales-back-top.jpgrte-email-button.png

That is really a cool cue case John!

Those large scales makes a very different feel to it it.

Tom