Talfuchre

Measurment Question.

I have been bending leather for some time - and have made quite a few basic dog collar for friends. When I did - I generally uses an existing collar of theirs, cut off the hardware - and used the existing collar for measurement. Thus - I have always had a baseline to work with.

However - I have one in another state that I cannot measure.

When making a dog collar - how do you cut the dog collar to the right length and put the holes in the proper places to ensure a good fit when you only have a neck measurement?

What is your process?

Thanks so much,

TF

I would get them to lay it out on a tape measure and take a pic and send it........that way you have total length, hole placement and spacing, hardware placement, etc.

Hope that makes sense......JMHO

Mike

I would get them to lay it out on a tape measure and take a pic and send it........that way you have total length, hole placement and spacing, hardware placement, etc.

Hope that makes sense......JMHO

Mike

Oh - you are saying an existing dog collar.

I just have a measurement - I was hoping there was a rule of thumb here - or a person who has made them who knows how long to cut them.

Thanks!

TF

I'd use the measurement they sent as the fist hole as far smallness maybe one before it just to make sure it's small enough and then put one or two more past.

My method is just like when I make a belt. Measurement is from the fold for the buckle to the center hole. Use the current measurement for the center hole and place 2 or 3 on either side. From the farthest hole towards the end measure enough that it will go through the "D" ring or keeper when buckled on the last hole. Not necessarily the right way, but the way I do it.

For what it is worth from a newbie... who is slowly being taught by a saddlemaker.

Neck measurement will be the distance from your centre of the hole for the buckle to the centre hole (allow 5 holes for adjustment). Holes will generally be 1 inch apart and start 2.5 inches from the point. Allow about two inches for the turn back over the buckle.

Hope this helps. Interested to see how other people do it.

You'd also have to take in consideration the thickness of the leather...1ply or 2 plys. Make sure the owner knows where and how to measure the dog's neck. I've been making dog collars for a while now and realized the vast majority of dog owners don't know how to measure properly. Now beside the neck size i am asking for the dog's weight and few pictures...lol...For a fully grown dog custom collar i only make 4 holes, 3/4in appart....that's about 3in of adjustment which is more then enough

Hope it helps...

Dog collar sizing has been a challenge for me. I sell dog collars online, and used to simply ask for a "collar size" in inches. People measure their dogs in many different ways, some tighten the tape on the dog's neck, which essentially is the "neck size". They don't all measure the on the same part of the dog's neck; if they measure too high, you get a "throat size"!

The problem in measuring from the fold of the buckle of an existing collar, is that not all buckles are of the same length. After having two collars come back due to sizing issues, I started attaching the following image to my listings. It only took me 10 minutes to draw up in photoshop. I have not had any sizing problems since.

post-29375-0-48032600-1367091176_thumb.j

Edited by lightingale

Spooky has said it right.     I use 5 holes with Ctr hole as size given but my holes differ for width of collar strap.  

5/8" wide collar strap  the holes are 1/2" apart

1" wide strap the holes are 5/8" apart 

1.5" > wide strap the holes are 1" apart.   

I don't want a Pomeranian wearing a collar with holes 1" apart.   It would not likely fit too well!   

Same as a Great Dane wearing a collar with a lot of holes 1/2" apart.    It's all about size and spacing 

I add approx 6-8" on to the length of strap ( you can cut away but never add leather back on)...

i use about 4" fold over because  after the buckle I also add a dee ring and a metal strap keeper.    Thus more holes and spacing needed for rivet holes and buckle tang slot   

It's  up to you what you want to add on the strap but 3" doubled  for a d ring and buckle is necessary