Ok, here she is.....The oversized satchel I've been working on for last couple of weeks.

post-34717-0-17124400-1365710854_thumb.j

post-34717-0-70695000-1365711103_thumb.j

post-34717-0-45520400-1365711139_thumb.j

post-34717-0-86624200-1365711170_thumb.j

post-34717-0-46244700-1365711200_thumb.j

post-34717-0-59058200-1365711240_thumb.j

Pretty nice. I like the 2 tone. Lots of stitching there, hard for me to tell if it was machine or hand. In either case, really nice job.

Tom

Pretty nice. I like the 2 tone. Lots of stitching there, hard for me to tell if it was machine or hand. In either case, really nice job.

Tom

Thanks Tom, stitching was all by hand btw

dis you paint the white bits or bleach it or buy it white???

None of the above TK, its natural veg tan, although, it may be the light shining on it that gives it the brightness

Just gorgeous...

Thanks capsterdog

great job...i have a bag like that in my future...

Thanks TK, I had fun making it, kinda different from my usual stuff but enjoyed it none the less. Back to your comment about it being white/bleached, it's going to get darker very soon though when I apply a finish/conditioner? Anyone have any suggestions for natural veg tan? I currently have on the shelf - neatsfoot, snow proof & all the usual fiebings finishers, I know its going to go sligtly darker but hopefully not too dark.

Is there any point in applying a 50/50 acrylic res/water to it if its not dyed? Would it still give a nice finished to undyed veg tan?

It is beautiful, love the colors

Great work!

Thanks WScott

Bump.....anybody help with the finish? Just a quickie answer will do, thanks in advance

Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) doesn't darken leather as much as neatsfoot oil. As you already likely know, oil conditions, isn't really a finish.

Lacquers work. I kind of like waxes since it can be reapplied and buffed easily. Kind of feeds the leather to help keep it supple.

Tom

definitely use Bee Natural saddle oil. It doesn't darken and is a great conditioner. You could always use Bick's #4. Won't darken either and lubes and conditions. It's my go to for every project.

pete

Beauty! Love the two tone and this will look even better after it's got some use and broken in. Be sure to post some pics in a year or so... I'm curious to see what it looks like.

Andy

Gorgeous is all I have to say. I need to stop looking at this site with my wife nearby. She's asking when I'll make her something like this and I'm not up to these standards yet!

Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) doesn't darken leather as much as neatsfoot oil. As you already likely know, oil conditions, isn't really a finish.

Lacquers work. I kind of like waxes since it can be reapplied and buffed easily. Kind of feeds the leather to help keep it supple.

Tom

Thanks Tom, I know all about the EVOO & never used laquers on natural veg tan but thanks for the info, my initial thought was to give it a few coats of snowproof as here in Manchester UK we generally get lots of rain & we've only just got rid of the snow.

definitely use Bee Natural saddle oil. It doesn't darken and is a great conditioner. You could always use Bick's #4. Won't darken either and lubes and conditions. It's my go to for every project.

pete

I've not heard of that before but thanks for that Pete, I'll have a google on it later & see if I can get some in UK, much appreciated

Beauty! Love the two tone and this will look even better after it's got some use and broken in. Be sure to post some pics in a year or so... I'm curious to see what it looks like.

Andy

Thanks Andy, thats a nice compliment from one of my bag maker heroes...I'm gonna schedule my diary for this time next year, hopefully it will look as it does now

Gorgeous is all I have to say. I need to stop looking at this site with my wife nearby. She's asking when I'll make her something like this and I'm not up to these standards yet!

Cheers vhakra, all i can say is just go for it, your always gonna make mistakes on your 1st one but you always learn from them

Wow very nice! Stitched by hand too!!! Looks machine stitched. Great detail! :notworthy:

how did i miss this posting?

really nice looking bag. Very impressed with the stitching. Hopefully the ones i'm making at the moment will look as good!

Wow very nice! Stitched by hand too!!! Looks machine stitched. Great detail! :notworthy:

Thanks Penny, yes all hand stitched, oh how I wish I had a machine sometimes but then again I probably wouldn't get it as neat, I get a feeling I'd probably make more mistakes with a machine

how did i miss this posting?

really nice looking bag. Very impressed with the stitching. Hopefully the ones i'm making at the moment will look as good!

Thanks Adam, this was the one I was telling you about probably a month ago or so...I think it came out well & I like the way it looks, so much stitching though!!!

Hope your orders are going ok

On April 26, 2013 at 9:54 AM, bissetdesign said:

Thanks Penny, yes all hand stitched, oh how I wish I had a machine sometimes but then again I probably wouldn't get it as neat, I get a feeling I'd probably make more mistakes with a machine

Thanks Adam, this was the one I was telling you about probably a month ago or so...I think it came out well & I like the way it looks, so much stitching though!!!

Hope your orders are going ok

This bag looks amazing. How does it look now?? And what finish did you decide to go with? I too like the lighter shade of veg tan and I am still milling about trying to find a finish that will not significantly darken! Every single product has mixed reviews!