These are my first several leather projects. Been trying to find the time to do them over the last year or so. Only really got anything finished in the last six months. Helpful hints and criticism welcome. I've also done some stuff not pictured, including a fringed elk skin book pouch, a belt pouch for loose .22's and a blackpowder hunting pouch. Both turning out rather well I think.

My first serious project was the knife sheath, then the Slim Jim crossdraw for the 3rd Model Dragoon. Left to right, the newest holster, this time for a Remington 1858 and border stamped. The Dragoon in the center and another for the Colt 1860 with metal spots and an antique pewter concho. To the right is the knife sheath, done back in the fall. The belt is the latest project (still unfinished), which has stamping, spots and conchos. All are far from perfect but I do think each finished work is better than the last.

IMG_1332b.jpg

IMG_1350b.jpg

IMG_1341b.jpg

IMG_1345b.jpg

Nice work!

Nice work Craig!

Welcome to the forum :wavey:

Very impressive. Obviously you have a talent for leather work and pay close attention to detail.

Good grief. All you guys posting work that is your first attempts. Man your stuff looks like you have been doing this for a long time. I'm jealous. Very nice!

Nice stuff.

Good job and welcome to the forum. Love me some old smokewagons. :cowboy:

Wow Craig44, those are REALLY nice! What did you dye them with? I'm particularly curious about the color of the 60' Army with the Concho. What finish did you use?

Paul

Good looking work, . . . simple, graceful, elegant.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thank you all very much for the kind words, it is very encouraging.

The 1860 holster with the concho was kind of an experiment. I used Tandy's dark brown gel antique in copious amounts to color the whole thing. I used a lot of it to get the color I wanted and I still didn't get enough penetration. Everything else was done in a 50/50 mix of EcoFlo Dark Mahogany and Range Tan. The sheath was done with cheap chrome tanned remnant bag leather, the rest with 8-9oz veg tanned.

I made the patterns for the Slim Jims (per Chuck Burrows' video) but now have several from Will Ghormley and am really itching to put them to use.