Sign in to follow this  
sodapop

prototype & final design sheath finished

belows the original prototype i posted before, which was my first sheath built...and when posted that one awhile ago...i mentioned that i was going to do some design changes etc...besides the personalization the customer wanted...just construction wise...

so heres the prototype again too compare...

sheathknife66.jpg

then heres the final design for the customer...the design changes were that i made the sheath wider and exaggerated the curves...so it had more flow on the welt edge and the top line...which gave me more room for the letter and border stamp...also so it had a more beefy look to it...i did away with the one piece belt loop design...it was an eye sore in my opinion seeing it fold over the top/back...so i made a seperate lined belt loop and stitched to the back...so you can't see it at all...which made the top lines cleaner overall...better access to the knife handle as well...

the sheath is lined and the fit is spot on...the customer picked it up today...and was beyond thrilled with it...i could tell by a few ways he was really diggin it...as he kept drawing the knife out & putting it back in...rotating it around looking at it with a big grin on his face and just seemed to be in awe a bit with it...

felt good as it was my first legit sale...besides that, all he said was he wanted his initial on it and black, so its a little sketchy if they are gonna be pleased with it...when thats all ya got to go on is the 2 above things...so i just had to come up with something/design etc that i "thought" he may like...and hope for the best...well from his reaction and comments, he was beyond pleased...WHEW!! hehe

final66.jpg

darryl

post-6168-1220236056_thumb.jpg

post-6168-1220238519_thumb.jpg

Edited by sodapop

That turned out real well Darryl.Like the way you did the letter.Keep up the good work.Dave

It looks great Darryl. I've never had a sheath like that . I've seen a lot of them. The knife won't fall out?

ArtS

It looks great Darryl. I've never had a sheath like that . I've seen a lot of them. The knife won't fall out?

ArtS

i appreciate it dave & art!!

to answer your question art...it won't when its molded like that proper and the welt fits correct...seriously, you can hold it upside down and shake it within reason...and it stays put...no slop at all...yet draws out nicely...when you put the knife in it "clicks" into place...also as dave(dcknives) pointed out to me that the liner inconjunction with the others things mentioned helps gives it that sweet fit...

the customer never had one like that either...and when i actually demonstrated it for him ...he was even more pleased =0)

darryl

Edited by sodapop

I just have to say that sheath is sharp! Congrats on your first sale and having a happy customer. Hard to beat that combo! :clapping:

Crystal

That is a sweet sheath for a wicked knife. My friend Chas makes them to fit sometimes like this. He once loaned me several sheaths with the knives. That was a heavy responsibility to have those knives and sheaths with me as they together represented over ten thousand dollars' worth of stuff. But the reaction to the work was worth it.

Nothing like the proper fit for the piece. That's quality and class.

Thanks Darryl. I'll have to try one now.

ArtS

Very nice work Sodapop. On your original design, with the one piece belt loop, try gouging the bend a little bit to flatten the loop. That will help it lay flatter against the belt.

ArtS, the sheath design looks to me like a modification of the traditional Scandinavian style sheath. It holds the knife really well,yet gives an easy release. The traditional sheaths have a single stitch up the back of the sheath, eliminating the need for a welt. The advantage to it is that there's no snaps or loops to get hung up in brush, and that much of the handle being covered means that the knife handle won't get hung up either.

:You_Rock_Emoticon: Darryl!

I think it looks fantastic!!!

You sure nailed the design down better and the initial looks just great and the black colour suits it well too.

I can sure understand He was grinning ear to ear over this one and once his buddies get's his eye on this one you should get some interest for more.

Well done and it's been great to follow the work and design phase through!!

Now you can take a well desrverved fishing trip on a sunny day, maybe tan your legs a bit ;)

Twinoaks mentioned "Scandinavian look" and I've heard it's a must to go with the "click" type sheath to compete succesfully here.

Rawhide seems to be preferred and designs are put down by pushing the mass of the wet leather with a modelling spoon.

:cheers:

Tom

Really nice shape to the sheets. I like it loads and it fits the knifes overall design very well...Good job:-)

i appreciate the positive feedback from y'all!!...its no doubt encouraging :thumbsup:

thanks much crystal...ya its groovy thing to see someone so thrilled with the piece you made for them...especially for a newbie...plus it got me another order as well...slowly but surely...keep beatin on that flesh :deadsubject:

glad ya liked it john...he was really fascinated with the fit...i'm telling ya i don't know how many times he drew it and popped it back in...hes just never handled or knew about those aspects of a properly fitting sheath like that...he was like a little 250# kid with a new matchbox car or something hehe

art...i'll be waiting to see it when ya get'r done :gun:

thanks alot mike...and i appreciate the tip...all i knew is i didn't like the looks of it...so i eliminated it lol...but i think the one piece has its place as well done properly...

tommy boy...dude i'm still shedding like a frickin lizard :crazy: ...next time sunblock 5,000...i was more than "well done"...and as a matter of fact i am off fishin tomorrow WHOOHOO!!...

tina...

Really nice shape to the sheets
...you making those wine holders again?? :cheers: hehe...its much appreciated girlies!!...again its encouraging to get what i believe is an honest assessment of the end result ;0)

darryl