glockanator

How Long Do You Warrenty Your Items?

If you have a warrenty how long do you warrenty it? Six months?A year? Thanks!

Since I've only been at this for three years and still learning I know things may come up years down the road that maybe should have been thought out better.

With that in mind, I have a lifetime guaranty on anything with my mark.

No receipt required, if it failed to perform correctly I'll make it good.

The things I will not cover are intentional damage or obvious abuse.

I do my best to make the best quality item I can, but sometimes mistakes are made and do not become evident until some time down the road.

For me it boils down to my name on that maker's mark, if I was proud enough to put my name on it, I'll stand behind it as long as I am able to do so.

Everyone will guaranty their work differently, this is how I do mine.

I tell everyone who buys any of my tack, it comes with a "99 Year Limited Warranty". It usually gets a good laugh but I really mean it. I can't control abuse or stupidity after it leaves my shop. I did repair a broken breast collar one time that a D-ring had pulled out. I don't know what really happened but I did not charge for the repair. -----------------Bill

One year for defects in materials or workmanship. I used to offer a "lifetime" warranty, and also used to allow returns for any reason. After a while, I realized that holsters are wear items and if used daily, will not last a lifetime. They will last a "long" time, but not a lifetime. I also had a customer buy a holster, wear it for a few weeks, then decide he didn't want to carry a 1911 anymore and wanted to return the holster for a refund. At that point, I decided it was time to tighten up the warranty/return policy a bit. I won't be a stickler with the one year time period if there is a legitimate issue with the item, but going "lifetime" on items subject to wear is going to come back to haunt you at some point. My base of philosophy is that I want my customers to feel like they got more than their money's worth. Customer service and warranty are part of that experience. If a customer calls me after 3 years with a legitimate warranty issue, and I take care of it for them, that's a positive thing. If I offer a lifetime warranty, and someone comes back 3 years from now with a holster worn and sweated on 12 hours a day, 7 day a week, with worn out snaps, worn out finish allowing moisture to penetrate, softened molding, etc, wanting a replacement, I'm setting myself up for a losing situation. If offering a lifetime warranty, be very specific on what that covers.

Most things that I've made still belong to me. The few holsters, sheaths, etc. I've made for others, I guarantee them for life. But, since I'm just a hobbyist and all my customers are close friends or family, it's not that big of a deal.

If you're selling a ton of holsters, perhaps Steven Kelley's advice would be better. If they've taken reasonable care of the holster it should be fairly obvious. If you get one back that got lost in the yard and hit with a bushhog, and they ask for a replacement, well... Perhaps there should be a 'negligent abuse' or 'reasonable care' clause in the warranty.

Nooj

A lifetime or 99 year warranty is setting your business up to fail. What are you going to do when a stirrup leather wears out? Put a new on for no charge ? That's what the customer is going to expect after all you gave a lifetime or a 99 year warranty. Some will understand nothing last forever others are going to hold you to and if you don't fix what ever it is their going to trash you to everbody they see. If you fix everthing they tear up or that wears out your going to be out of business pretty quick because you will be out your labor and materials.

One year for defects in materials or workmanship. I used to offer a "lifetime" warranty, and also used to allow returns for any reason. After a while, I realized that holsters are wear items and if used daily, will not last a lifetime. They will last a "long" time, but not a lifetime. I also had a customer buy a holster, wear it for a few weeks, then decide he didn't want to carry a 1911 anymore and wanted to return the holster for a refund. At that point, I decided it was time to tighten up the warranty/return policy a bit. I won't be a stickler with the one year time period if there is a legitimate issue with the item, but going "lifetime" on items subject to wear is going to come back to haunt you at some point. My base of philosophy is that I want my customers to feel like they got more than their money's worth. Customer service and warranty are part of that experience. If a customer calls me after 3 years with a legitimate warranty issue, and I take care of it for them, that's a positive thing. If I offer a lifetime warranty, and someone comes back 3 years from now with a holster worn and sweated on 12 hours a day, 7 day a week, with worn out snaps, worn out finish allowing moisture to penetrate, softened molding, etc, wanting a replacement, I'm setting myself up for a losing situation. If offering a lifetime warranty, be very specific on what that covers.

This is a very good point. Thanks for taking the time to share this wisdom. I was thinking I might try selling some of my work as I get better. As such I was beginning to consider the idea of how I would warranty my work.

I will repair them as long as they are not abused/altered. I hate getting holsters back that someone has altered from my original design. Those I usually don't work on, but offer to sell them another one.

When they are bought, I tell them what I use on them as far as finishes, and give them a biz. card, telling them that if they have a problem or need help, to give a call.

I have only offered money back on one holster, and the customer did not take it. I offer to remake holsters if it is a design issue, ie. too tight/loose, bad design (it happens), etc.

I have only had 1 holster come back needing restitched, and that was an old one that I was still learning to sew on. Easy fix and no charge. The others are usually a one off design issue, and I look at those as perfecting my prototype.

DM

I guarantee all my work for life. I also follow up that if it fails because of my work I'll fix it or replace it for free. Of the hundreds of products that I've sold over the years I've had a few things come back that I GLADLY fixed and handled. So far it hasn't broken me and I'm not afraid to stand behind my work. Mind you I don;t make things that get abusive daily wear but time will tell.

Okay here's a tough one I sold a holster for a 1911 to a lady I work with husband about two weeks ago. I find out today that he went home and "oiled" it for a couple of days and know his gold cup won't fit the holster. I am thinking he wants his money back. I figure I have two options 1: take the holster back for cash refund or 2: tell him that it voided the warrenty when he "oiled"it.

Any suggestions?

If you state not to oil or over oil it for X # of months then you have a leg to stand on. Otherwise you might have to eat this one. You could tell him he ruined it by over oiling and give him a price break on a replacement. Technically you delivered a product he broke so you owe him nothing but reputation is also at stake. Id either give him a price break on a new one of try to add a stitch line to the old one to tighten it up and be done with it.

Okay here's a tough one I sold a holster for a 1911 to a lady I work with husband about two weeks ago. I find out today that he went home and "oiled" it for a couple of days and know his gold cup won't fit the holster. I am thinking he wants his money back. I figure I have two options 1: take the holster back for cash refund or 2: tell him that it voided the warrenty when he "oiled"it.

Any suggestions?

If he has a habit of oiling all of his holsters and has never had trouble it will be hard to convince him that every holster he has ever owned can handle oil, but not the ones you make.

I would try to talk to him directly. I would fix the problem, weather he wants his money back or will accept another one. Clearly explain to him what happened and why and that this one is a one time deal. He will tell his friends, they will order and tell their friends. There is no chaeper advertising than to waranty something that really should not be covered.

It is the same reason why lifetime waranties work. You will waranty a few items that really are not your fault. They will tell others and others will buy from you. Cheap way to have positive advertisement.

Aaron

Thanks for the advice. Since I have not talked to him directly (his wife mentioned it to me in passing) and figure out a solution for the problem. Thanks again.

I am new to this so my knowledge is limited. However, I have not had any holsters that became too tight for the weapon from excessive oiling. I'm sure someone will chime in to correct me, but, in my first couple of years I have made the mistake of over oiling a few holsters and all were fine for the weapon they were made for.

I have however had the misfortune of expecting that all 1911 style pistols were pretty much the same. I found out quickly I was wrong.

I use Springfield 1911A1, Springfield Micro and Colt Commander blue guns, but if the holster is for another maker or model I will almost have to have the 1911 to make the correct holster.

Para Ordinance can be slightly longer, Sig has a squarer top of slide, Ruger seems slightly chubbier and some have front sights that require extra room.

Like I said, I am new and would expect someone with more experience to correct me.

These are just my observations.

Any suggestions?

What about putting care instructions on your website and include a printed copy with your products, along with a disclaimer if need be? You always have the option to fix any issues that arise anyway.