wildrose

Messy workrooms

Here is my workspace. It used to be the garage. It's been a long time since a car has been in it and will probably never have a car in it again. I try to keep it organized but it's also storage and not much space.

ArtS

I really like the way you have your marble slab is inlaid into the workbench! If I ever get a spot where I can I think I will go that route!

Ventilation? What's that? Oh...yeah...fumes....LOL! I haven't had decent ventilation in a workroom yet. At least here the door is right next to my desk and it has a screen door with it. That's a first. Used to be, I opened the door and all the bugs came in to visit.

Whoa, I could never work like that. I'm a real neat-freak, to the point of vacuuming my workbench after every use and storing every tool in its "right place."

You'd never even know I did any work there unless you actually caught me working! :lol:

man, i thought i was the only neet-freak.. its good to know i'm not the only one out here that needs to have the tools in their right place.. its like going to bed with out the bed being made :jawdropper: i just can not do it....

shop2.jpg

shop4.jpg

shop3.jpg

post-4221-1220734752_thumb.jpg

post-4221-1220734777_thumb.jpg

post-4221-1220734810_thumb.jpg

I'm just glad I'm not the only one that ISN'T a neat freak. I could blame my mess on not having enough space (and I don't) but I think I'd still be messy. I dont mind the mess as long as I know where everything is. When it gets to the point I cant find something, then I'll clean it up, but it doesn't seem to last very long. I'd rather spend time carving than cleaning.

I'm just glad I'm not the only one that ISN'T a neat freak. I could blame my mess on not having enough space (and I don't) but I think I'd still be messy. I dont mind the mess as long as I know where everything is. When it gets to the point I cant find something, then I'll clean it up, but it doesn't seem to last very long. I'd rather spend time carving than cleaning.

Amen to that :clapping::dance::clapping:

man, i thought i was the only neet-freak.. its good to know i'm not the only one out here that needs to have the tools in their right place.. its like going to bed with out the bed being made :jawdropper: i just can not do it....

Is that a dentist office or a workshop???? It looks almost sterile!!

I really like the way you have your marble slab is inlaid into the workbench! If I ever get a spot where I can I think I will go that route!

Thanks. It makes it a lot easier when tooling the big pieces.

ArtS

The biggest problem for me related to a messy workspace is not trying to find tools, but rather the consequences of having everything all over the table. Little stuff like the awl rolls off of the table and sticks in your leg. Or you set your project down in a dye drop. Or you try to clear yourself up some space and your brand new stamp rolls off the table onto the concrete floor. How about putting your elbow in the glue? All of these unfortunate events have happened to me at one time or another.

And those kinds of distractions just drive me nuts! I'd just rather have things neat and tidy so I'm not worried about the clutter and its potential negative effect on my sanity...

My biggest 'messy workroom' problem is mostly due to the extreme age of my house (built sometime in the 14th or 15th century) and the fact that the floors go up and down like a roller coaster ride. There is a 6" drop from one end of the room to the other with a 4inch drop between the outside wall and the centre of the room. This means my big green cutting bench slopes sharply backwards depositing everything rollable onto my lap - hence if you make a mess it all ends up on the floor.

The daftest thing I ever did was to get one of those rolling toolboxes (like mechanics use) as I thought I could get all my tools in the drawers and keep the place nice and tidy. I filled it up, sat down and started to work and then watched the thing slowly roll down the other end of the room... It is now chocked up and wedged into place!

Hi Alex,

I understand the frustration a messy work area can cause. I recently messed up a couple pieces of leather because I dont have a sepreate place to do my coloring. Tipped the piece of leather over on my marble and when I turned it back over, it had red dye spots on it. I cut a new piece out and after casing, but them both in the same plastic bag until I was ready to use them. When I took them out, the second piece had gotten red spots off the first piece. Yeah it's frustrating, and could have been avoided, but it'll probably happen again sometime. I think some of us are just a little messy by nature (at least that's the excuse I'm using)

Killing two messes with one mallet! Here is an example of my benches usual state, and a pair of "Hey Zeus Christos" sandals I just finished, to be picked up by the customer tomorrow when I will do the final hole punches, Hope I measured right!. Olive Oil on top and beezwax melted into the bottoms, hand sewn and still fun to make after 3 pair.

P9060037.JPG

P9060042.JPG

P9060038.JPG

post-4868-1220853345_thumb.jpg

post-4868-1220853390_thumb.jpg

post-4868-1220853418_thumb.jpg

My biggest 'messy workroom' problem is mostly due to the extreme age of my house (built sometime in the 14th or 15th century) and the fact that the floors go up and down like a roller coaster ride. There is a 6" drop from one end of the room to the other with a 4inch drop between the outside wall and the centre of the room. This means my big green cutting bench slopes sharply backwards depositing everything rollable onto my lap - hence if you make a mess it all ends up on the floor.

The daftest thing I ever did was to get one of those rolling toolboxes (like mechanics use) as I thought I could get all my tools in the drawers and keep the place nice and tidy. I filled it up, sat down and started to work and then watched the thing slowly roll down the other end of the room... It is now chocked up and wedged into place!

Just goes to show how the romantic view of something (like living in a house that's 500 years old) is often a better fantasy than reality. (Though, I'd have to say it may still be worth it. I would love to live in the depths of so much history!)

Just goes to show how the romantic view of something (like living in a house that's 500 years old) is often a better fantasy than reality. (Though, I'd have to say it may still be worth it. I would love to live in the depths of so much history!)

The reality is just as good as the fantasy, Schno, you just have to learn to compromise a little. For example: I wanted to fit a telephone into the workroom a while back and burned out two drill bits trying to get a cable through the ancient 2" thick solid oak floorboards - now that is what I call seasoned timber! I compromised by fitting a wireless telephone setup that only works in one place in the room because the three foot thick solid stone walls block the signal everywhere else.

The upside is a massive open fire in the winter, ancient oak beams in almost every room and the feeling of permanance you only get from a building that has known constant occupation since medieval times. If you want to see living, working history check out www.ludlow.org.uk/arch.html you'd be welcome to drop by for tea!

Tony, Mine is the crumbling hovel on the way out of town... look out for a leaking roof and leaning walls - I didn't say anything about constant human occupation! LOL

Edited by UKRay

Color me jealous, Ray! I've been through nearly every part of England, Scotland, and Ireland so far, but I still haven't made it through Wales. And in spite of the counsel of my Anglo-Saxon friends, I'm fascinated with that part of the country. I hear that due to the Welsh resistance to Norman conquest, there are more castles per square mile in Wales than anywhere else in the world. It was interesting to learn that Ludlow castle was built by the De Lacey family. I visited another of their holdings in Ireland a few years ago. Trim castle was built by Hugh De Lacey as a stronghold against the denizens of the Connemara, probably around the same time.

Anyway, Wales is definitely on my list... but only after Hawaii. After spending a week in the dust storms, hot days, and chilly nights at Burning Man, I want a vacation with tropical breezes, room service, and little paper umbrellas in my drink!

...I want a vacation with tropical breezes, room service, and little paper umbrellas in my drink!

We might have a problem with the little paper umbrellas... <grin!>

I'm still working on that where everything is deal. I had it but now it's gone, I think.

Tom

It all started with the Batman tool roll. Ended up like this. It was clean when I started. But it's always that way. BOOM!! What the heck happened?

Tom

IMG_0023.JPGIMG_0021.JPG

post-6291-1220919097_thumb.jpg

post-6291-1220919134_thumb.jpg

I have not had a lot of time to work on any projects recently but here is my little piece of heaven...

Leatherworkshop_004.JPG

post-6851-1220921398_thumb.jpg

Is that a dentist office or a workshop???? It looks almost sterile!!

[/quote

Yap,i work on a lot of ivory so it could be a dentist office :unsure: its funny what you said about looking like a dentist office because i got most of my storage cab. from a old dentist office.. oh will i like it sterile so just call me DOC HILOBOY... anyone need there teeth cleaned ;)

We might have a problem with the little paper umbrellas... <grin!>

lol... I'd dare say that there would be something unlike tropical breezes as well! England isn't really celebrated for its climate. (Although, for the month or so of time that I've spent there it only ever really rained once. I've been told that was just shy of unbelievably good luck.)

Schno, All day long we have had horizontal rain and a howling gale. More than enough wind to blow your little umbrella all the way to Hawaii. It tends to focus the mind though - I really don't mind being indoors thumping leather on a day like today! Living on the Welsh border can be pretty moist. A town a few miles down the road (Tenbury Wells) was badly flooded again this week - third time in a year. I'm just glad I live on a hill...

Schno, if your coming by umbrella watch the wind that volcano can get pretty hot.. those little umbrellas don't have a lot of control.. hell you might catch one of the trade winds and end up in japan :spoton:

Edited by hiloboy

Schno, if your coming by umbrella watch the wind that volcano can get pretty hot.. those little umbrellas don't have a lot of control.. hell you might catch one of the trade winds and end up i japan :spoton:

LOL... I may be many things, but Mary Poppins I am not! I totally want to see a volcano, though!

(By the way, I promise to take a shot of my work area tonight in honor of the topic of this thread. I may also start another thread. I'm looking at building a leatherworking area in my garage and I want to get peoples' views on the 'ideal setup'.)