chriscraft

New To Bike Seats

Here is the dried leather seat top. Gonna take a stab at antiquing this one today.

post-38453-0-46708600-1373630374_thumb.j

Tried a water base antique gel on this one. Then when dried used Pro oil dye applied with airbrush and faded my edges with dark brown pro oil. Will have to see what others are using and get better at this. This was tooled on 8-9oz. HO and will be stitched with a wheat colored 346 bonded tread at 5 stitches per inch. Chris

post-38453-0-48921700-1374010177_thumb.j

Edited by chriscraft

simply beautiful work.

Finished the bicycle saddle today. Right now I'm cutting my own steel pans but will be farming out the work and get them water jet cut locally. I'm waiting on the cost quote for these 10g pans.

post-38453-0-09691000-1374777403_thumb.j

post-38453-0-11951200-1374777407_thumb.j

Here's a pic of my Springer Basic Saddle installed on this custom vintage 1940's bike.

post-38453-0-80497000-1374963647_thumb.j

cool seat, but black...szzzzz...ohhh well, all these super details u had in that face are somewhat lost....BUT, the customer always gets what he wants....kinda like my wife!!!!

The shaped wooden form is cool but soon u will have to make different seats and shapes so making a form for each will not be economical!

Most all of us tool flat and then form and shape.

I have tooled on ready moled leather right on the seat,,,,but there was NO foam involved....so called hard ass chopper seats...

You have great talent in tooling, so try to do different seats and shapes and soon you will be on your way...nice work.

Jimbob

Chris--- that is some of the cleanest tooling I have ever seen. Simply stunning Chief!

The Indian headdress seat is incredible! Really great work!

So I took the plunge and went out and purchased a nice sewing machine for my leather seats. My tooling has improved and still getting better with every hour spent swinging the maul. Just wanted to post this latest seat build as I'm having trouble finding similar tooling. It's a vintage pin-up style Girl. The face is only 3/4" so it's difficult to get good detail. I'm self taught so I'm sure I'll find a way. What's everyone else doing when tooling small faces? Chris

What kind of machine did you get. Do the mounting bolts get in the way when sewing around the edge?

What kind of machine did you get. Do the mounting bolts get in the way when sewing around the edge?

I've have no issues with mounting bolts as I don't have a table top sewing machine. I have the small heavy duty cylinder arm sewing machine, Cobra class 3. Been stitching with my work on the outside of the arm. This machine was a huge investment that will one day pay for itself.

Been busy getting set up for these BTR Saddles these past few months. As you can see, it wouldn't have been possible to stitch these on a flat table top sewing machine. I acquired a small contract for these saddles but will also be hand tooling some custom made to order seats once I'm set up. Really excited about this project.

post-38453-0-93949600-1382550401_thumb.j

No comments on tooling faces, you did a wonderful job.

Now go shoot the idiot who wanted that terrific piece of art dyed black.

He doesn't deserve that seat!

Dave