stringduster

What Is With This Site, Man?

There is "What you say" and there is "How you say it" .

Suggesting there should be a time period for members to edit posts for grammar, content, etc. is fine. I support this. Many forums allow a certain time period before posts are locked. I cannot tell you how many early morning and late night replies I've made on forums where I look back and wonder what was I trying to say?? Sometimes a bit of judicious editing and clarification is necessary.

There is nothing wrong in expressing this. However..Walking into a forum with its particular software set-up, regulations, social dynamic, etc. and launching into a tirade about how "screwy" they place is, and the moderators and members who are not online, and I don't care if this sells... is a load of baloney!

You're going to get a much needed strong response from the group.

We, as individuals, are responsible for what we say. So, before slamming down on the "Post" button, take a few seconds to go back and read what you wrote and make sure it's what you meant. And while you're at it, you can do your best to correct spelling and grammar errors.

I think this thread has run it's course by now, so I just want to shift focus a bit to the graphic backgrounds that seem to be popping up now and then. For me, they are distracting and, in most cases, hide the little stars that show me it's a thread I have posted in. Also, it is extremely difficult to see the poster's name.

This forum is run by volunteers and each and every one of them deserves our thanks, praise and respect for what they do. They have lives outside of this forum and that needs to be remembered.

Enough !! G'bye.

Feraud, your statement is so true.

Okay folks, I screw up the grammar a bit, often negelect to check my work, make errors that I wish I had not made, BUT, I am what I am.

I know little about computing but places I can go, such as this site, are a fun thing for me. If I make a mistake, it is my fault, not the site or administrators.

Most of us are capable of understanding what the person was attempting to say and just pass over any mistakes. Not a bad thing and none of us are perfect.

I don't see spell checkers everwhere I go and wish they were automatically turned on when typing but not a complaint from me.

Perhaps it is an age thing, on my part, but life goes on, and is so short that good times are in order, and perfection is something we would all like to achieve but is somewhat elusive.

Be forgiving, don't worry about the small stuff and get something good out of what you have been invited to share.

My only worry is about using the only non-replaceable item in life, TIME, and I strive to make the day a pleasant experience for myself and others.

God Bless.

Ray

I messed up a post a couple days ago. Over 2 hours later, I went back and found the edit button was still active, and it worked. I don't know how long the time-out is, but it is certainly longer than the 15 minutes or so I had understood previously.

So if you make a mistake or otherwise need to fix something in a post, you definitely have more than 15 minutes to do it. Hope this helps others that need to go back and fix something. The edit button is light gray text left of the Quote buttons. If you can see it, it is active and you can use it.

This is a great forum, has more input, great ideas, better behavior, less vulgar language, etc. than many other forums.

Have a great day everyone!

Tom

Remember back when you had to talk to people on the phone (or god forbid in person) and you couldn't go back and change what you said? At that time, so long ago, we had to add to our statement and say "this is what I meant"........not sure why that doesn't work on a forum.

Or, how about your typos/mis-spoken words in email? What email client let's you go back and edit an email after it's been sent? Seems to me that the ability to edit your forum posts after the fact is a luxury that isn't really all that common in life.

I think you have three hours to do your own editing. I'd probably change that to 24 hours, but last time I looked I couldn't find the setting.

Once upon a time a very good leatherworker was an active member here and posted a lot of useful info and great pics. Then one member made him angry and he sat up all night deleting everything he'd ever posted, leaving big holes in the threads and conversations that were then meaningless. He felt bad about it a week later, but there was nothing that could be done. All his collected wisdom was gone from the forum. And that is why mods do the extreme editing. Thanks for understanding.

~J

Thanks for the statement Johanna, I dont blame the mods for having that responsibility, it would like someone going to the Library of Congress and ripping every other page out of all the books.