JREESER1

Small Sewing Table

Has anyone seen or know of an inexpensive table for a sewing machine, about 24" square with fold out wings? Something sturdy enough to hold 50 lbs., with casters or wheels. I am using a Black and Decker "Work Mate". It works, but is hard to move and hard to get your leg under. IKEA has some flimsy, junky, particle board dorm tables. I do not want that. Thanks, Jim

Jim;

That would be easy enough to build but casters alone will be at least $10 bucks each.

You could put an add in the local paper or .com for a wood worker.

Sometimes high school students will do this sort of thing for a project if there is a shop class.

You can buy folding table legs and put a top on it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Metal-Folding-Table-Legs-36-Tall-x-24-inches-Wide-Pkg-2-/190642455841?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c632d0521

Look on Craigs list, . . . Ebay, . . . and used furniture stores, . . . don't forget yard sales.

I've seen any number of super sewing machine tables given away to get rid of them, . . . in fact I have one in my living room that meets that criteria.

You don't need castors, . . . you need 2 wheels about 3 inches in diameter. Put them on one end or the other only. Then tip up the other end and roll it where you want to leave it. If it is on 4 casters, you will have to buy the locking kind, . . . otherwise the thing will roll all over the place while you are trying to use it.

The locking kind are in the neighborhood of 6 to 12 bucks EACH. With only two wheels, . . . the other end will hold it in place while you use it.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Look in Craigslist or Ebay for a typewriter stand.

Thanks, all. Great ideas! I like the 2 wheels on one end idea. I will check out the thrift shops tomorrow. SUPER, thanks again, Jim