Cowgirlup8807

Decorative Swivel Knife Cuts Help!

I have been teaching myself to tool for the past few years in my spare time and have been making some progress recently, however I am struggling with decorative swivel knife cuts! I can't get them to look smooth and flow with the design (see picture). I have used two different blades, the one in the picture is a small angled blade. I always make sure they are sharp and stropped before I used them. Any suggestions on which knife blade to use and techniques that help to make them look professional would be greatly appreciated! I feel like everytime I try to add them I ruin my designs! It is getting very frustrating!

Thanks!

post-37831-0-43012300-1379094776_thumb.j

Youll get differing opinions on this because its one of those personal preference things. Overall, your cuts dont look too bad, some are better than others. I do the bulk of my carving with either a 3/8" or a 1/2" blade. For finish cuts I like a thick 3/8" blade, again just preference. Even the regular tandy blades are fine, you dont need anything fancy.

The best advice I can give you is pick up some scrap if you dont already have some and practice until you are confident and smooth in the hand movements. Some of your cuts look a bit choppy like you are really trying to steer the knife perfectly. Remember when you learned how to drive? Death grip on the wheel etc? Same thing applies. Loosen up and just guide the knife, but dont try to concentrate or muscle it to where you want it to go. Another tip is before you make your final cuts, grab a piece of scrap and "warm up" with some finish cuts.

Hope this helps

Chuck

Don't begin your cut with a heavy hand and DO NOT try to make the cuts touch each other. "Let up" on the pressure, begin the cut and gradually relieve the pressure as you get to the bottom of the cut. Some areas look better with a little work using a "Hair" blade.

Frustration normally sets in when you are tired or have had a bad day. Work on leather to relieve the tension don't make the leather look like you were beating it to death. :)

ferg

A couple spots look like they are undercut. Hold the knife so the blade is always perpendicular to the leather, so it doesn't slide under the edge of the cut.

I think you cuts are really pretty good. Mine are getting worse due to medical problems, so yours are much better than mine are now.

Tom

The actual blade you use is not critical, up ot you. I like a 3/8" straight blade (steel).

The doin' of it .. well ... try to think of stickin yer finger in the cake frosting. :) "Swipe" in and taper out.

GUESSin from your picture, how DRY was you leather getting? Looks like your blade is dragging....