barbiesdude

Adjustable Rigging

Somewhere I saw a saddle rigging dee that could be spun around to different positions to change cinch placement forward or back. Anyone now where to find those? Thanks

Close in concept, but from what I remember it was like an old school ring rigging except the ring was odd shaped so when you spun it around in the leather it would change the position of the cinch. I wish I could explain it better.

I have not seen the style you are talking about, but; I would caution you to be sure it is made of very strong materials such as stainless steel. Especially in the swivel area, as that is a key point for stress and wear, and if it gives out, well you know where you will end up!! Personally if I were going to be riding many different types of horses as you do, I would get a saddle that has triple rigging rings and use that style to set up a saddle for each horse that I ride that day. Just my two cents. Bob

If this was a feasible solution of having different rigging positions,it would be very popular. Because it isn't it probably didn't work very well. When you install rigging on a saddle you secure either the plate or D to the skirt/tree with numerous fasteners so it would have a direct pull. The rigging you are trying to locate would have the upper part connected to the saddle with a swivel connecting the top to the tie ring. You state by rotating it you change the cinch placement. This would cause uneven pull in either position. There are many variations of three way rigging that have been used and proven, and I would suggest trying one of them.

Cable riggings seem to suit some folks. The position is adjustable but not quickly. Most I have seen get adjusted a few times when new and then after the new wears off set and left at ~7/8ths. My own experience has been that riggings just need to be well placed and well constructed for 90+% of use. Adjustable requires experienced rider to be used correctly. Successful adjustables (ex 1914 Mc Clellan) have one thing in common: rigging pull is always at the low point of the moving parts so that pull will be distributed to the whole saddle and not skewed to front or back as rigging is moved. And as somebody said earlier, if ARs were effective they would be widely popular which they aren't. The goal of most ARs seems to be to get something like 7/8 ths or 3/4s so why not just build a good 7/8ths or 3/4s or 15/16ths to start with that takes latigoes and cinches away from shoulder crease and with in skirt or plate rig to eliminate leg position interference?

Thanks for everyone's input, it's all good. I currently have a cable rigged tree that I'm hoping to build on but I have a friend that isn't to keen on the idea as I am. He is a trainer as well and rides all sorts of breeds and body styles like I do. His drop plate rigging's leather is wearing out around the rivets and we were discussing options when it comes time to replace. That is when I remembered this funny looking rigging dee that I saw somewhere. There was nothing mechanical about it, it hung down like a round ring rigging and if you took hold of a round ring on each side and turned it like a mini sterering wheel or something, it would turn inside the leather rigging straps coming down, but due to the shape of this thing, when you moved it in the rigging it would change the lowest spot to more forward or more back therefore changing where the cinch position was. Heck, maybe I just dreamed it up, I wish I could make one, maybe I could get rich!