Pounder

Jigs, Whatchmacallits, Thingamabobs Etc.

Morning All:

I have been searching for days for a thread that had a self centering hole punch alignment tool but to no avail. During this search I got to thinking there are probably thousands of little hand made jigs, helpers or whatever you want to call them out there that can assist the business leathercrafter. I know there are probably past threads that cover this subject but I cannot find them and (I hope) it never hurts to resurrect a good subject again.

So, how about sharing some of those little trick machines that help in the shop and cut down on time. For example, jigs to help with letter placement, hole centering for belts, different stitching ponies, just to name a few.

A big thank you in advance to all who participate.

post-29226-0-97314200-1386944253_thumb.j Weaver sells this one to work with thier own tools, looks nice to me, anybody have one?

For centering one may be able to use a self centering dowling jig used in woodworking. Ive been meaning to try mine but they will need modification. I have 2, one US made one which is really nice and accurate, Pro Center brand, and one from Harbour Freight which is not so accurate.

I have a table top drill press that will eventually get a woodworking type fence and use that for repetitive tasks.

YMMV

Jeremy

For round objects I'll lay out a square pattern behind the leather, it helps to have reference lines when stamping or carving.

post-19342-0-23360500-1386945609_thumb.j

post-29226-0-97314200-1386944253_thumb.j Weaver sells this one to work with thier own tools, looks nice to me, anybody have one?

For centering one may be able to use a self centering dowling jig used in woodworking. Ive been meaning to try mine but they will need modification. I have 2, one US made one which is really nice and accurate, Pro Center brand, and one from Harbour Freight which is not so accurate.

I have a table top drill press that will eventually get a woodworking type fence and use that for repetitive tasks.

YMMV

Jeremy

YMMV

Jeremy

I have one and love it it really works great

Check out Blackriverlaser.com they are also on ebay (prices there are discounted). THey have a hole center template it is designed for different widths of belts and straps. Lay it on the belt or strap line up the edge width marks you can choose from different hole spacing 1/2" 1' etc. poke a scratch awl through the aproprate holes to mark. Remove the template and you have correctly spaced and aligned hole marks aling your punch over the mark and punch away. IT is actualy pretty quick to do. They have many template availble for doing all kinds of thing inclusing a handy pocket leather thickness gauge.

Some time back, this centering discussion came up and someone posted a photo of a simple jig that was self-centering on a strap. I just spent and hour or so looking for the thread and looking for the JPG on my PC, but can't find it on either.

It was basically a square of thick Plexi, a line drawn down the center with a hole drilled in the middle to allow the punch to fit in, and 2 pins along that line on either side. You put I over the strap and rotate it so the pins touch the leather on either side and that centers the punch hole.

If someone else remembers it, maybe they can post the link or picture.

Tom, this might be the thread you are refering to check out post #12 there are several other posts as well with different ideas. The one inpost 12 is an acrylic self centering dowel jig. http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=38348&hl=+belt%20+hole%20+centering#entry237928

That was it. Thanks for finding it.

I don't mind sharing, . . . cause I'm basically a cheap old coot, . . . if I can make it, . . . I do it.

Here's some of my "creations". All pretty much out of EMT (electrical conduit).

Back Row, Left to right: 1 1/4 strap end rounder, 1 inch strap end rounder, specialty punch for making a strap end to hold the hammer down on a single action.

Middle row: 3/4 inch strap end punch, special belt ending punch, corner rounder, 3/4 inch strap end punch, 3/4 inch round punch, 1 1/4 bag punch

Front row: 1/2 inch round punch, 3/4 bag punch, 5/8 bag punch, couple of old dull bag punches, . . . dremel tools made from dowels with drill bits used as metal shaft.

I probably have a total $$ investment of $5 in all you see there.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-35854400-1386991607_thumb.jp

Edited by Dwight

Once again the generosity of this site and its members is outstanding.

Camano Ridge, that was the same post I was searching for, thanks for sharing it again.

Dwight, great use of conduit, I will definitely have to try my hand at that although I will probably not get them as nice as yours.

Tom G, great simplification of the jig, based on this and some pics I am sure I can make one and save some money.

Everyone keep the ideas coming I am sure there are several people who enjoy reading your posts and get an idea or two . And a big thank you to all that have responded. :You_Rock_Emoticon:

I have since switched to vacuum forming my holsters, . . . but for a while, . . . I did them on a press.

This dude did the 8 ton jack magic, . . . never skipped a beat, . . . even though Rube Goldberg looks all dressed up compared to this.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-39200400-1387033515_thumb.jp

post-6728-0-97023000-1387033539_thumb.jp

Dwight,

I also press my holsters (although nothing as elaborate as that guy) but am looking into vacuum forming, seems like it would be better and I think the customer would be more comfortable than having their toy pressed between a jack and a plate.

This guy's site is worth a look for some ideas on homemade tools if you have not been there before.

Dwight,

I also press my holsters (although nothing as elaborate as that guy) but am looking into vacuum forming, seems like it would be better and I think the customer would be more comfortable than having their toy pressed between a jack and a plate.

Your logic is exactly why I switched over to vacuum forming. I'm in the process of rebuilding my leather shop, . . . when I get it all laid out, . . . I'll get some pics up of the vacuum system.

Suffice to say, . . . it works really well.

May God bless,

Dwight

Chain, thanks for the web site, checked it out and bookmarked to come back to it, to much information for one visit.

Dwight, can't wait to see those pictures of the shop, always good for ideas and enjoying what others have and can do.