superpacker

Cutting Subtle Curves

Are there any tips to cutting shallow, subtle arcs or curves in leather. On a simple billfold for example. If I wanted the lip of a card pocket to have a shallow dip, rather than be a straight line across. What the best way to measure and cut that?

I would use a template made of paper cut the same size.

Fold the paper, mark your line, cut on the line and then unfold the paper and there's your template.

I use a protractor upside down a lot. You can use a small bit of it for a shallow dip or just lower it for a deeper and wider curve.

I use can lids and jar tops too

Pete

So I guess my hang up is how to physically cut the arc? What's the best way to make rounded cuts? Most cuts are straight and I normally use a hobby or x-acto knife

So I guess my hang up is how to physically cut the arc? What's the best way to make rounded cuts? Most cuts are straight and I normally use a hobby or x-acto knife

Push down hard on the plate and pull your knife along the edge.

A french curve will work well. On my patterns I cut them from rawhide or linoleum. Then you can use it to cut around with out messing up the edge. Rob

Are there any tips to cutting shallow, subtle arcs or curves in leather. On a simple billfold for example. If I wanted the lip of a card pocket to have a shallow dip, rather than be a straight line across. What the best way to measure and cut that?

I use a compact disc as a guide and make the cut with an x-acto knife. I don't try to cut through the leather all the way on the first pass, rather, I make 2-4 light cuts, one over another until I get all the way through the leather...

The disc may or may not work for you depending on how much of a curve you need. It works well for the pockets of card wallets that I make. Hope that helps!!! :)

So while it will help of you have a hard edge to but up against, do yo need that, or can you cut it in stages with a knife, multiple cuts getting deeper, after you've traced your pattern?

if you mean can you cut it in stages - going deeper with each pass? you can do it that way.

If you have to cut thin layer in stages your knife isn't sharp enough.

Once should suffice and no more than twice.