JLSleather

Bottom Feeders

They do see the leather workers coming, don't they?

Hole punches, carbon steel, sharp and ready to use, up to 3/4" -- called "hollow punch". Price range $8-13 for 7-piece set.

Hole punches, carbon steel, not so sharp actually, but named "leather punch" or "for leather", price range $4/ea and up

Reminds me of that joke my boy told me when he was little ... What do you call a boomerang that doesn't come back? A stick.

Seriously, when you've determined there is something you need, do yourself a favor and think about what you're getting before you swipe the card. Odds are, you can get the same thing for much less -- from someone who isn't "marketing" tools.

Oh, yeah .. a "burnishing mandrel" is a dowel with a groove.

Edited by JLSleather

Leather work is gaining popularity again, although it will never have the same market that it did 40 years ago. With popularity comes cheaper tools, and by cheaper I am referring to quality. I've been bitten by a few chinese tools that were made without the slightest thought of quality control. Sometimes you really do get what you pay for. Other times, you have to be a little smarter and see through the marketing ploys and realize that a hole punch is still a hole punch by any other name and sold for any other purpose.

Yep, that's what I'm talking about. I wouldn't say I'm angry, just not naive. Anyone who doesn't mind paying more for a punch because it's a "leather" punch instead of a "hole" punch - go right ahead.

Leather workers are not always the victim, though. We've all seen the ads about "handmade" and "custom" and "value", which sounds nice until you see the same people wanting a 'sale', a 'discount' or a 'deal' on the raw goods.

I happened upon a bunch of it all at once one day, and simply pointed out that concious thought is good. If you don't prefer to actually think, "pet rocks" and 'mood rings" will always be available.

Total newb here but I was at least glad that I had a better than average understanding of tools before I went in. Sold tools for over 3 years at Sears. Talk about marketing! Anyways, I kid you not, I spent an entire week scouring the internet looking for the best price on the appropriate tool or type of tool. Even picked up a few of those cheap chinese punches and re-ground them myself.

Might I go so far as calling Tandy one of those marketers too? Half of what I ordered from them(Thank God it was 60% off or more) was no better than the chinese stuff on Ebay

Might I go so far as calling Tandy one of those marketers too? Half of what I ordered from them(Thank God it was 60% off or more) was no better than the chinese stuff on Ebay

What you bought from Tandy is Chinese stuff. Almost everyone starts at Tandy, few people end up there.

Tandy is great for beginners learning. Not everyone will want to invest money for an sk-3 swivel knife or set of Osbourne punches. I did quite well professionally using Tandy Tools for a while, heck even the cheap steel tools from China work well if you're on a budget. Do what you can with what you have and enjoy the learning process.

When you get better, look at tools that can make your craft easier. It makes you really appreciate the companies who create exceptional tools.

Agreed on all points Tandy. I grabbed my first set from them and see their place in the business if you will. A great place to start for crafters and the like. My friend and I started after coming across a Tandy booth at a steampunk convention recently. We had been talking for a while about it and the folks that worked for Tandy were awesome guys. Full of info and reccomendations. Not to mention they made it clear to buy THEN as they had what would be considered their 'Elite' level membership prices, at the show.

Come to find out later, I can buy pure copper rivets from Zack White and they are cheaper than Tandy's plated metal crap(of which I have already busted several when testing pull strentgh). Gotta start somewhere though. I am a tool guy and already see myself needing/wanting better quality stuff.