I would like to build western holsters and have purchased several of the current pattern packs available but I want to offer a authentic product. For example, did the original holster makers have a sewing machine, some how I doubt it. Where can I locate information how the original holsters where made, how were the dyes made, did they make their own. I know this is a broad question but I am just starting in this area. I have looked at "Packing Iron" but at $150 a copy that is to much for my pocket. Any suggestions.

Thanks to all in advance.

Pounder

Actually harness makers and holster makers in the mid and late eighteen hundreds did have sewing machines available to them. The sewing machine came to life in 1846. Certainly not all of them could get one or afford one but they were out there and were used. Check your library to see if the have packing iron. Also if you have a half price books check them I know several people that have scored a copy of Packing Iron for a decent price.

As to Western holster specific inbformation and old time dyes. This site has good information however more western holster specific information can be found over on http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/board,57.0.html click on forums and go to the leather shop. You will find a topic heading FAQ How to. You will find information on home made dyes including vinageroon, walnut etc. Original borders and many examples of western holsters and styles. The show us your stuff topics have many fine examples of holsters by the makers on that site.

Edited by camano ridge

Thanks for the info Camano Ridge, somehow I see all these holsters with perfect machine sewn threads and just did not think that would be available int he old west. Something learned. Signed into Cas city a few days past and have been lurking there and seeing some of your posts. Appreciate the tip about half priced and the library, will check both. In the mean time got an order for a rig last night just minutes after posting this from a local shooter.

Camano answered your questions very well. All I thought to add is that a properly done hand stitching job is far better looking and more "perfect" than any machine stitch. Good luck Pounder!

Josh

Pounder, . . . don't ever allow yourself the luxury of thinking that we are now 2014, . . . so much smarter,. . . better tools, . . . better equipment, . . . and roll that over into thinking that the craftsmen of 100+ years ago were any less craftsmen than we are.

If any thing, . . . it has gone down hill. If you wound up in Quack Quack City, Colorado, . . . needing a gun rig, . . . your options were a catalog order that may take several weeks if not months, . . . ride over to another city, . . . or let the local guy do his thing for you.

He didn't need to be in a hurry, . . . and he generally had "his own" style to a certain extent, . . . and if you hit the museums, . . . all of us can only hope that some day a piece of our craft my lay near some of those.

Use the general idea of the period, . . . but make it "your" way, . . . that is exactly what the old timers did, . . . you will be following in their footsteps boot tracks.

Make em proud, . . . by being like them, . . . not copying them. Copy their character, . . . dedication, . . . resourcefulness.

As an aside, . . . one of the greatest compliments I ever received, . . . the person didn't know that I'm basically cheap, . . . make my own tools as often as not, . . . especially for a special need. That person related, laughingly, a little factoid about my grandfather, Will Webb, . . . stating that he was never very long waiting for a tool or a wrench. If a wagon came into his blackmith shop with a bolt or nut for which he didn't have a wrench, . . . 1/2 hour to 45 minutes later, . . . after a little forging, cutting, and anvil work, . . . he had the wrench. I think I grew about 3 inches that day, . . . knowing that I had "unknowingly" stepped into a pair of boots that have long been special to me.

Good luck, . . . happy pounding.

May God bless,

Dwight

All I thought to add is that a properly done hand stitching job is far better looking and more "perfect" than any machine stitch.

Oddly enough, the machine stitchers will never admit that for some reason...

Dwight: Thanks for putting it all in perspective, sometimes I am to busy looking to see what is right in front of me. I deeply appreciate your sage advise.

Chuck Burrows: I appreciate the link to the DVD's maybe a hint for Father's Day, definitely something I would like in my expanding library.

Everyonw on here is the best.

Pounder,

if at all possible do not wait to get Chuck's video. Its one of the best produced videos and most informative one i have seen on holster making.

i still watch it to refresh and spark my mind into action.

I second the suggestion on Chucks video, great source. Another is to check the online auction houses for western antiques. They show some great examples from different time periods.

Oddly enough, SOME OF the machine stitchers will never admit that for some reason...

There I fixed it for you. I machine stitch a lot of stuff with a Boss. However, when I want to make something really special for someone or something to really show off then I hand stitch it. There is nothing better than a well hand stitched line. Machine stitching helps me produce more and faster and for every day product it is good quality. But for perfect stitches i need an awl, a pair of pliers and 2 harness needles with waxed linen.

Nothing wrong with a machine stitch. I just like the saddle stitch better when I have the time and the need.

Treed

Good suggestion I will check them for reference.

Regarding machine stitch to hand stitch, both are nice but I never made a mistake while hand stitching but I do need to practice my machine stitching.