I'm currently in process of switching most production work over to the drum dyed leathers, and got turned onto this color option by another leather worker on here. The Havana color is a very dark/rich brown with little to no red hue. I suspect that this will be a very popular color with time. Pictured here is a double stitched belt & pancake for a Ruger 4" SP101.

post-19170-0-93252000-1390252222_thumb.j

post-19170-0-44776800-1390252230_thumb.j

post-19170-0-47213800-1390252238_thumb.j

post-19170-0-64439400-1390252243_thumb.j

Edited by Eaglestroker

Outstanding!

That is a great color and some really nice looking leather! Great job on your work as always Robert!

Best regards, Josh

Great work as always. Is that a saddle skirting color or?

Looks awesome. You may want to check out a henna colored thread from Weaver. Gives an option that looks great with the Havana colored leather.

As mentioned on another forum you posted this on Robert, I really like it.

Shooter,

Yes, that's a saddle skirting color from W&C. It's not on their website, you have to ask for it.

Paul

Ive tried their Chestnut and not been pleased with the results. I definitely want to try this though.

Looks really nice, your stitches are spot on. What weight did you get?

That is a great color and some really nice looking leather! Great job on your work as always Robert!

Best regards, Josh

Josh, thanks for your compliments!

Looks awesome. You may want to check out a henna colored thread from Weaver. Gives an option that looks great with the Havana colored leather.

Thank you for the lead on that. I've been trying to find a dark brown thread and have not had any luck at all finding one I liked.

As mentioned on another forum you posted this on Robert, I really like it.

Shooter,

Yes, that's a saddle skirting color from W&C. It's not on their website, you have to ask for it.

Paul

Thanks Paul!'

Ive tried their Chestnut and not been pleased with the results. I definitely want to try this though.

I've tried black, russet, brown, chestnut, and this Havana. The color of Chestnut was not a personal favorite but it made nice belts and the holsters did well too. It sure is a major time saver around the shop. The last rather large order I posted was the russet with a light brown antique applied over the top.

Looks really nice, your stitches are spot on. What weight did you get?

Thank you! When I order 7/8 I get closer to 9, when I order 6/7 I get closer to 6. I started ordering straight 7 and it comes in between 7-8, usually towards 7, and that does well for me. As always your results may vary!

Does the dyed leather have any finish applied to it? The 2 places I buy from don't offer dyed outside of bridle or harness leather, both of which have wax and oil applied. I just cant get it to wet and mold by hand. I've got some hand applied dyes that I really like, but it would be nice to have a black I could work from. Also, is it struck through?

Does the dyed leather have any finish applied to it? The 2 places I buy from don't offer dyed outside of bridle or harness leather, both of which have wax and oil applied. I just cant get it to wet and mold by hand. I've got some hand applied dyes that I really like, but it would be nice to have a black I could work from. Also, is it struck through?

This does not from the tannery it has cut resolene applied in the photos. I know bridle has the wax impregnated which made it a hassle in my experiences to mold. I case this saddle skirting and it molds up to my standard.

I'll always prefer hand dying large projects but in reality the drum dyed is better struck than me dip dying the leather. When I go to groove it I rarely cut though the color unlike my dip dyed (try to remember to groove before dying for this reason).

What Paul pointed out to me about W&C is the skirting is cheaper than the standard tooling sides. I cut my cost a fair amount by moving to back only skirting about 4 months ago. It is obviously more expensive to stock 4 colors than one or two 'in the rough' hides plus dye. When you factor in different weights it can brcome uneconomical for a lot of folks - it sure is nice not to have to screw with black though and I LOVE the pasted flesh side. When it comes down to it for me when someone is paying for a fairly simple production item I'd rather spend time working than dying. On large tooled rigs where I get paid for that 'perfect' color I'll continue to hand dye. The drum dye colors have been very consistant over the half dozen brown sides I've used which is a great service in terms of duplication for the customer in my opinion.

Edited by Eaglestroker

out standing...really love it

Beautiful work! How does that skirting leather compare to their tooling leather?

Looks fantastic and the color is outstanding.

After seeing the pics and the results I contacted Glenn at W&C to place an order for my usual. He said this is "crust leather"?

was sending me a chunk to try, but if this is the same leather you used for these projects I see a new stocking color for me.

Wow, you got someone to answer a phone at W&C? Im impressed.

This does not from the tannery it has cut resolene applied in the photos. I know bridle has the wax impregnated which made it a hassle in my experiences to mold. I case this saddle skirting and it molds up to my standard.

Thanks. Gonna have to look into it. Although, I've got altogether too much leather right now so it might have to wait a bit. I stocked up some while I had the funds. Black is the color that gives me fits sometimes. Since switching to pro oil dye, it's much more consistent and not nearly as bad as the standard alcohol stuff. (yeah, I know oil has alcohol too) And a much quicker turn around than vinegroon. But pre dyed would be sweet!

out standing...really love it

Thank you!

Beautiful work! How does that skirting leather compare to their tooling leather?

The only noticeable difference is the extra coin still in my wallet :)

Looks fantastic and the color is outstanding.

After seeing the pics and the results I contacted Glenn at W&C to place an order for my usual. He said this is "crust leather"?

was sending me a chunk to try, but if this is the same leather you used for these projects I see a new stocking color for me.

Glad I could help out George. I think the "crust" term means it is semi finished.

Wow, you got someone to answer a phone at W&C? Im impressed.

I email Linda now. If I don't get exactly what I ordered it makes for some accountability, and it is easier than playing phone tag.

Thanks. Gonna have to look into it. Although, I've got altogether too much leather right now so it might have to wait a bit. I stocked up some while I had the funds. Black is the color that gives me fits sometimes. Since switching to pro oil dye, it's much more consistent and not nearly as bad as the standard alcohol stuff. (yeah, I know oil has alcohol too) And a much quicker turn around than vinegroon. But pre dyed would be sweet!

Skipping the whole dye process easily double my production capability in any given amount of time. I still have a decent amount of undyed leather and am having to force myself to use it up.

I have been using the W&C english bridal, for my sheaths, and it molds and takes the simple tooling I do, just by giving it a little soak, I don't truly case it but let it sit for a while before tooling.

it takes my makers mark well too. and people like the results. I just use some skidmores on it after I am done slicking the edges.

I think as funds and needs arise, I am going to switch to the dyed skirting just because I would rather not dye my pieces and would like more options for finishes.

I am pretty sure this is the chesnut brown

360RHsheath.jpg

360hunter.jpg