Sjohnsone

How To Use A Compass

Well I really feel like a dum dum for posting this.

I've been doing leatherwork a good while now and have made many different things and there is something I consistently battle over and over and over and over again - the flap.

It doesn't matter if it's a bag flap or wallet flap...I have such a massively difficult time getting a perfectly even rounded flap.

I have a compass that I played around with this afternoon and I hate to say it got the better of me.

Can someone enlighten me on how to get perfectly rounded and even sides to flaps? I would really save me the time of digging through cans and bottles to get the right shape and dimension, plus i'd feel like a little more professional.

Thanks in advance,

Seth.

You stated it. Use a can, plate, lid or whatever is the correct size and cut along the efge of it. I just minutes ago used a container of Dr Jacksons to create a radius in a wallet insert.

Aaon

Another option is getting a set of circle templates, scribing the arc you want and cutting it out that way.

Chuck

Seth;

You can fold a piece of paper, mark half the width of the flap on the paper, place your compass on the fold and open it to where it meets the line, scribe, cut and open the paper and then transfer that to something heavier like cardboard and use that for a template.

post-19342-0-92073700-1390308721_thumb.j

post-19342-0-52330800-1390308751_thumb.j

I have a compass, . . . RARELY ever use it, . . . simply because there are too many rolls of masking tape, plates, saucers, coffee can lids, coffee cups, drinking glasses, pill bottles, etc, . . . which are perfectly round, . . . AND, . . . I can lean on with my left hand while scribing with my right.

It don't move, . . . I get a good scribe, . . . and we're off to the races.

When I do use the compass, . . . it has to be done from the back side so the "point" doesn't mar the good piece. You may also want to be sure to have one that opens and closes with a turn screw, . . . not one of those sliders like kids use in school. It'll slide on you every time and frustrate you worse than a dull beak on a woodpecker's head.

May God bless,

Dwight

Seth;

You can fold a piece of paper, mark half the width of the flap on the paper, place your compass on the fold and open it to where it meets the line, scribe, cut and open the paper and then transfer that to something heavier like cardboard and use that for a template.

You sir, are a geometry wizard. Seriously. You just made my week.

Thank you all for your replies!

Edited by Sjohnsone

I'm glad that's going to work for you.

If you transfer the paper template to a cardboard template, mark the center fold line from the paper onto the center of the cardboard to give you a center reference on your leather.

That way you'll have the two sides lined up and the center on center.