fotomaker57

Do You Dye The Inside Of Your Holsters?

Do most here dye the inside of their holsters or leave them as is? I have purchased a few custom made holsters over the years and they have been dyed inside. I have started making my own holsters and need to decide which way to go. So please let me know which you prefer and why.

I dye the inside of mine most of the time, I like the whole holster to match. The only time I don't dye is when a customer request that he/she does not want the inside dyed or I have just used an oil finish, then it only gets oiled. I guess it is really up the the craftsman or the customer and what he or she likes.

Troy

I dye the inside of mine most of the time, I like the whole holster to match. The only time I don't dye is when a customer request that he/she does not want the inside dyed or I have just used an oil finish, then it only gets oiled. I guess it is really up the the craftsman or the customer and what he or she likes.

Troy

Is there any advantage or disadvantage, other than astetics, to dying the interior?

I don't think there is any advantage or disadvantage. ..I think it is purely for looks. I may stand corrected, there are a lot more knowledgeable people on here besides me.

Are we talking a 2 ply or lined holster? Or a single piece of leather?

Edited by Red Cent

I only dye the inside if it is a black holster. If it is a brown holster I leave the inside a natural color.

dye inside 100% of the time. To me it looks cleaner and makes edging easier.

When I look at folks that really have excellent attention to detail (particle comes to mind) they use natural interiors. I've always felt it really shows your ability to work the leather when you have a nice clean natural liner. While personally my work still has it's fair share of dye 'licks' here and there it just looks good to me.

Unless requested to dye I prefer natural liners. Early on I had a thumb break transfer dye onto a VZ grip and it made me think twice about it even though my sealant process has changed majorly since then as well.

Edited by Eaglestroker

Since I dip dye all my holsters, . . . unless it is adamantly requested otherwise, . . . they are dyed through and through.

Esthetics and beauty being in the eye of the beholder, . . . a dyed holster will look better longer inside than an undyed one, . . . IMHO.

May God bless,

Dwight

Out of all the holsters I've done, I've only dyed the inside once. Unless requested, all of mine are natural.

Natural.

Unlined, 2 piece pancake style.

In this case I used dyed/plated leather. It looks nicer.

I don't think it is a matter of being torn it is just two ways of doing things neither one is wrong. However some have personal preference for one or the other. I do it either way depending on my mood and the look I am trying to get. You will find that on an unlined holster if you dye and then seal the inside it does help to keep the fuzzies under control.

Edited by camano ridge

Depends on what look I want, and what the customer wants. I have a couple styles that are always natural. I have a couple that might be dyed a contrasting color. Oxblood exterior and black interior with black stitching is a pretty good look. Then there is black, it's, well, all black.

I started out not dying any of my items on the inside then I was asked to do it on an item and noticed it look much better. I started sealing it with Neatsfoot oil and then quickly realized that the aerosol sheen works just as good and much faster to apply. Don't spray on areas where you plan to glue or it will not stick good. Just my 2 cents..

Only rarely do I dye the interior.

Never. My holsters l do a liner on the sweat shield and skive the edge just inside the holster pocket. I also use 8-9 Oz and typically use a 4 oz liner on the sweat shield but never dye the inside. Semper-fi Mike