truenorth

Chromexcel

I believe they did it purposely. They would undercut springfield leather if they want to compete with them, which is not necessary because they supply them with healthy margins for themselves. It would be cheaper to just allow springfield to handle small orders and tannery row take on larger orders. The 30 dollar handling fee make single hides more than springfield's price. If thats not planned out it sure looks like it was. Correct me if I'm wrong I'm curious about these type of things.

Edited by DavidL

I wouldn't be surprised if the handling fee acted to offset the higher returns from buyers of small quantities. End-purchasers are more finnicky than, say, a store that buys a stack of hides at a time.

-JV474

I wouldn't be surprised if the handling fee acted to offset the higher returns from buyers of small quantities. End-purchasers are more finnicky than, say, a store that buys a stack of hides at a time.

-JV474

That should be a restocking fee.

I agree with you; if that is their reasoning, they should call it that. I think those same buyers would be more likely to post negative reviews if they were charged to return an item that didn't meet unrealistic expectations.

Again, I don't know their reasoning. I'm drawing from meetings where I've heard this type of misguided justification.

I'm not a defender of Tannery Row, although I have ordered from them before.

One thing you have to keep in mind is that Horween / Tannery Row will only sell you #1 Grade whereas Springfield gets their Tannery Run (TR) grade.

Springfield leather should get the first grade leathers they would profit at least 2-3 dollars a sq foot, which is twice what they get for other leathers. They should at least say they are tannery run leathers rather than trick people into thinking they are first grade. If they do sell first grades then thats fair. The thing is you can't tell if they sent you lower grade leather even if you bought first grade.

I got some really really dirty natural Essex from them last year. It was unusable and there was nothing on the site to indicate the inferior quality of the leather.

Never again. Definitely lost my business.

edit: by "them," I mean Springfield

Edited by EricIsaiah

Yeah, seems that they aren't selling first grade. Not surprising.

true )