I am making a sheath for a large panga (machete) and I would like to do some double loop lacing on it. My question is what should I use to punch the holes. My lace is 1/8, and the leather is 3/8" thick. Should I use a punch and if so what size? It seems too thick to use a chisel, or I was even thinking of drilling the holes? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If it were me, I would punch 3/32" holes 3/8" from the edge, but that's just me, others may have a different opinion.

Chief

I think if the leather is that thick you will need to move up to triple of fourple loop to cover the edge properly.

What is a triple or fourple loop, never heard of this?

Thanks Chief, I will see if I can get a 3/32 punch. The sheath has 3 layers of 1/8" leather around the edges. My punches seem to be too tapered to get through that much leather.

An inexpensive, yet useable tool I sometimes use: take a piece of steel tubing about 3 inches long (in this case, 1/8 inch tubing).

Lay it against a sanding wheel, . . . sharpen the outside edges of it like you would do sharpening a pencil.

Put it in your 1/4 in electric drill, . . . drill your holes.

I usually do 5 or 6 holes, . . . take it out of the drill, . . . use a wire to push out the pieces, . . .

Every other hole or every 3rd hole, . . . touch the tip to a block of beeswax or parrafin, . . . makes the going through a bit easier.

May God bless,

Dwight

I think if the leather is that thick you will need to move up to triple of fourple loop to cover the edge properly.

Electrathon is right, I assumed you'd decided on double loop, double loop with 1/8" lace will not cover an edge of that thickness very well. You could also consider using a wider lace say 3/16" (harder to find) and if it were me I would use a Mexican Basket Weave stitch with the wider lace, holes spaced and sized appropriately. 3/32" may still not cover with double loop that well, there used to be sources for 1/4" but I haven't been able to find any of that in a long time. But that's just me, I love the Mexican Basket Weave and it covers better.

Chief

Edited by Chief31794

Bigfoot,

Three or four loop lacing is similar to double loop lacing but with more 'loop' to give more coverage or a more complex look. It will cover a wider edge better, but takes more work. Tandy has some simple books on lacing that show the different types, they are pretty cheap and you can purchase and download electronic copies of them from their website.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I will try them all. I live in the North west Territories Canada, no stores near here so getting supplies is a challenge. A lot of companies won't ship here either. Looks like I need another book, good thing I can download them. :) Garry.

There are two books that Tandy has on lacing one is "Lacing and Stitching for Leathercraft" and I can't remember the other but both are good and carry much of the same information, however the one I named has single loop,double loop, triple loop, Mexican basket weave or Round Braid, and it also has two tone double loop instructions and a few others, I would recommend it.

Chief

Ok thanks I see it is in digital, ordering my copy now!

I downloaded the book, it doesn't show four loop lacing. I tried the triple, and it is pretty nice just about perfect, but I would like to try the four loop before I do my project. I drilled my holes with a dremel and a 3/32 bit. I will check youtube to see if I can find a demo of four loop lacing, thanks guys for your tips, especially the one Chief gave me about sticking the needle in the next position, then pulling the lace through, really saves time!

I'm pretty sure that quadruple cordivan is in the other book, I only have it in hard copy and the shop is closed. Someone else may know for sure.

Chief