Damian Black

Best Way To Cut Long Thick Leather?

I need to cut alot of 5 inch strips of very thick leather, I tried a razor but that didnt work as well, lately been using a rotary cutter but its hard to get a perfectly straight line with it. Is there some sort of large machine that can cut perfect strips? Or perhaps a super sharp tool?

plough gauge

Plough Guage, Strap Cutter, or if you don't already own the leather have the distributor you buy it from cut it into 5" strips, most will do it and the charge is nominal. I buy my leather from Springfield Leather and they will cut it into whatever size you want and the charge is very reasonable. If this is something you will continue to do for a long time, then there are industrial machines that will slit leather, the Leather Pro Model 4 is one, I think there are others, I would contact some of the large leather equipment manufacturers. I know Weaver sells one but it only does up to 4".

Sorry I don't have more information, perhaps someone else with more knowledge on these will chime in.

Chief

I need to cut alot of 5 inch strips of very thick leather, I tried a razor but that didnt work as well, lately been using a rotary cutter but its hard to get a perfectly straight line with it. Is there some sort of large machine that can cut perfect strips? Or perhaps a super sharp tool?

If you are having a time getting a straight line with a rotary cutter, . . . might I suggest it is not the cutter, . . . but the operator.

Take your time, . . . lay the cutting edge (not the protected edge) against a good straight edge, . . . I cut up to 70 inches that way, . . . no problems, . . . and I'm a shaky old nearsighted geezer.

It also helps if the straight edge is rubber or cork backed, . . . keeps it from slipping.

May God bless,

Dwight

you might want to look into a good round knife. I had the same issue you had until I got (and learned to use it) a round knife. it will go through that really easily.

It could be the roller cutter. Sorry, but cheap ones will roll if you loosen the blade. Get a better one that the blade will not wobble. If it is a cut that I cannot use the strap cutter, I will use a 36" aluminum ruler. If careful, you cankeep a straight line bearing against the ruler and not sheer any ruler. I seem to do a very good cut if I use a #2 pencil and scribe the straight line. Patience, patience,.............

I think you would benefit with this. You can get them cheaper than this.

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/sanders/4-inch-x-36-inch-belt-6-inch-disc-sander-97181.html

I scribe a line using a straightedge and a scratch awl.

Then use a round knife to make the cuts. Just follow the scribed line, don't try and use a straightedge for the actual cutting.

Dan

I use a strap cutter. Works great. I have also been known to take a piece of angle aluminum and clamp it on the line I need to cut. then us my roller cutter and make sure it stays against the edge. Just dont clamp too tight and mar the leather. FYI I corked the back of the angle to keep it from moving.