millwork

Skiving 1 3/4 Belts

what is best way to skive belts .I have found a supplier that had 9to10 oz leather that needs to be skived on the buckle end. I have been looking for a skiver that was called the mighty skiver but no luck any help would be appreciated. the correct name of the skiver "little giant" it was mentioned in Al Stohlman books. and it was wide enough to do 1 3/4 belt in one pass

Edited by millwork

I use a hand skiver I've had for many years, they don't cost much and do a good job, there is a slight learning curve to get used to how the achieve the result you want. I have a splitter that I use sometimes but the hand skiver is just as quick and very easy to use.

Chief

post-6362-0-28187600-1399847769_thumb.jp

i can't get that doggone safety skiver to work right. do you have any tips that might help, please?

You have to tilt it towards you a little, take some scrap, make sure the blade is sharp and work it for a while, it becomes easy. One thing is that it takes the leather off in small slivers, you can't skive to 1/2 thckness in one pass. I normally start on the edges and then take down the stuff in the middle, I use the edges to keep me in line with the thickness I want and then I take the middle area down. On belts, I normally then take it to the Oscillating Spindle Sander with 240 grit and smooth the skived area a little. Mine is old, old and I heard that some of the new ones don't work quite as well. Never tried one of the new ones, but this one works like a charm.

Chief

you know what...i have a belt/disc sander. maybe I'll try the belt sander...sounds like it might be easier to use...

I use a block plane.

post-19342-0-77021500-1399855663_thumb.j

that would probably be easier too. how do you taper with it?

that would probably be easier too. how do you taper with it?

If you're using a block plane and you want to skive say 3inch length. Using the block plane on the first half inch, then an inch etc... with each pass move back 1/2 inch of so.. the successive passes will give you a taper.

I take the belts down with the plane and finish them with a drum sander in a drill press.

If you want more of a taper just take more material off in the area you want thinner and finish by sanding.

I'll start off with the bade barely touching and when it stops removing material I'll drop it down just a little more and keep planing until I have the thickness I want.

+1 on the skiver Chief pointed out. It's really a tool that comes in so handy in so many ways, even if you have a $600 splitter/skiver (I do). There are many items that either won't fit in a 6" splitter/skiver or that don't merit getting up and moving your work to the much more expensive machine. If you ever watch a saddler work, they will pull out one of these with all the finish worn off from constant use. And they really know how to use one!

Only one thing I would add to Chief's advice and at that it might just be a clarification. You can't draw one of these straight toward you and expect good results. You need to draw it at an angle with respect to your work piece. Try drawing it at, say, a 45 degree angle and you will see how it will then glide through your leather. (Of course you need to use a sharp blade.)

Thanks,

Michelle

where do you get the blades? they look like the injecter type blades I use to use for shaving but walgreens, publix don't have them

where do you get the blades? they look like the injecter type blades I use to use for shaving but walgreens, publix don't have them

Tandy, SLC, etc. They come 10 to the pack and that will last a long time.

Chief

you know what...i have a belt/disc sander. maybe I'll try the belt sander...sounds like it might be easier to use...

I bought a small palm sander from Harbor Freight, works great!

thanks for all the good ideas. I also have a belt sander, osalating sander, I was also thinking of using a power jigsaw with a wide blade, I am just about all healed up from a band saw accident that just cut into my finger nail about a month ago they will cut just about anything. just be careful and keep yours finger out of the way!!!!!!!!!

Quoted from Tree Reaper - I use a block plane.

Looked like a good idea, as I have several block planes. Honed the blade, but it didn't do well. Maybe I didn't get it sharp enough. Any suggestions?

EJ

Edited by MM2CVS9

You could do what I did before I got a skiving knife

Lay the belt close up to the edge of your bench, across in front of you. Might be easier if you raise it slightly, say on a 1/2" strip of wood

Get a cheap snap blade knife and extend the blade fully

Slowly but firmly work /cut the blade into the leather, using an in-out motion, forwards & downwards. This means you would be cutting across in front of you; if you are right handed that would probably be from left to right.

Hold the bulk of the strap on the left with your left hand and pull it taught. Fix down the extreme right end of the leather with a drawing pin/thumb tack to prevent it sliding around

Alternately treat yourself to a round knife, and learn how to sharpen it.

Is this what you mean?

post-45824-0-90576900-1436297430_thumb.p

Bench splitter (bottom) in 2 seconds or skiving knife (top) in a few minutes:

http://imgur.com/a/nLYqL

I made my own leather splitter which works a lot better than the hand skiver or small plane I was using before.

Pictures we can look at without having to download an app would be nice.

Thanks for that. Gonna try to make one like it. What did you use for the cutting blade. I saved the pics for reference.

EJ

I can see em now, Thanks!

Wow, Thank you so much. The drawings, pictures and material list are fantastic. I believe I have most everything I need rattling around in my shop except the blade. I know what I'm doing tomorrow - building a skiver for doing belt and strap ends.

EJ