dcobranding

Tiger Thread: Is There Seriously Not A Comparable Braided Poly Thread In The United States?

I been doin some "cypherin'.

FYI:

Maine Thread's Waxed Poly:

70 yards = 64 meters (roughly); 500 divided by 64 = 7.8125 spools

Price for 70 yards of medium weight waxed poly from Maine = $6.29 ea.

$6.29 x 7.8125 = almost $50 for 500m

Also, Maine's waxed poly is twisted, not braided. Tiger is braided and $45 for 500m.

Maine Thread also offers a non-waxed braided "polished cotton" thread in a wide variety of colors (seriously gorgeous stuff, by the way), but it's $8.80 for 100 meters ($44 for 500m).

Maine Thread sent me a sample card. Their waxed poly reminds me of Tandy's waxed linen (which I manage to break every time I try to use it). Poly is stronger. Maine's poly seems to be good stuff, just not what I'm looking for.

I ordered one spool of Tiger through http://ludlowleather.com/. Had to try it myself. Get this though... I received an email today saying that they had made an inventory mistake, and the Mid Brown 1mm which I order was out-of-stock even though the website did not give that information. They were extremely apologetic (even offering me a $20 coupon code), and asked me how I wished to proceed. I ended up calling out there to figure out my options. Being a small shop owner myself, I told them that I didn't feel that they owed me $20 for an innocent mistake. I know how much Tiger Thread from Abbey England costs because I have an account there, and Ludlow is not making much margin as it is. But, what a shining and impressive example of fantastic customer care! Before I got off the phone, I asked when the John James 02 needles would be in-stock. He told me that they would be on his desk today, and insisted on throwing a package of them in with my order since I refused to take advantage of their generous (but warrantless, in my opinion) gift. Needless to say, I will be doing business with them again.

Am I the only one who "geeks out" about this stuff? Come on geeks, stand up and make some noise!

#time-for-my-meds

Got my maine sample card today also!

I actually emailed Ludlow leather asking a question about smaller sizes of tiger thread and I never heard a word back. Could have went to their spam folder or something so could be a mix up. But thats very nice of them to do that for you!

I was curious about the pricing break down on the maine thread so that puts it in perspective more on how it compares to other brands! Although I just ordered the extra fine size which is $4.19 a spool. Still comes out to not being cheap if you add it all up.. but its nice being able to get some interesting colors that I wouldnt commit to purchasing a large spool of! got the denim and some other strange colors.

Its not my ideal thread since it seems to feel a bit sticky and the doesnt look as consistent as the tiger that I have but for small amounts of different colors I think I am a fan. The tiger thread seems nice that I have but its just too big looking to my eyes for smaller goods. Probably like the fil au chinois thread the most out of those 3 that I tried but its a pain in the ass to get and $$

DCOBranding,

I too am a geek and do the "geek out" thing at times.

When you have an hour or more........ I can tell you about caclulating recoil........

well. they (ludlow) are apparently out of black tiger thread in 0.8 and will be for at least a couple of weeks, so i need to find another source for tiger thread or equivalent.

last batch i got from Canada took almost a solid month to get to me here in the US. maybe it'll be faster ordering from Abbey?

If you get stuck give me a shout, I can get it quickly here & send to you, will be much faster than a month !

abbey england has some in stock. In one shipment I received two items that have defects or issues with from abbeyengland. First it was a dixon iron that is deformed slightly, still usable however. The other was tiger thread that looked like it had 2/5th of the thread missing. There prices are extremely low Barbours thread for 20 dollars, half of what campbell randall sell for. They may be buying in huge stocks or some of these items had defects from the factory/ returned items and sold at cheap prices.

The two items w/ defects may have been a coincidence, I have to think twice before buying from them.

did you contact Abbey about your issues ? Their support is extremely good.

They are the main trade supplier over here (even making their own hardware) so definitely should resolve any issues you have had.

they resolved the tiger thread issue and sent me a new spool. They respond very quickly.

The dixon iron I assumed was standard quality, but now it came to my attention that it may be on the lower end of what they send out in terms of quality control.

In one shipment I had 2 issues w/ my items so I don't know if it happens often to other buyers or was coincidence. Im thinking it may have been a coincidence and I will give them another chance.

My order has arrived, and I thought I would post about it.

First impressions, right out of the package:
Wow. It's really gorgeous thread. 1mm is not at all too thick for me. I believe the stitching is part of the beauty of a piece, so I would love to even try 1.2 or 1.4. The individual strands which are braided together are TINY. This stuff is going to be very strong by the looks of it.

First impressions using it:
A real pleasure to work with. It's waxed pretty heavy, but not overly so. The rigidity of the thread actually helped me better control the entire process. It glides through the holes and locks against itself nicely.
Overall, I do see what all of the hype is about. It's good stuff. No, it's great stuff, worth (in my opinion) the little extra it costs over other threads and artificial sinews. Several colors of Tiger thread are definitely in my immediate future.

Hope you found this amusing, if not helpful.
My first "Tiger thread experience"...

tiger thread front

tiger thread back

[Edit: A note about the color "Brown"... it's almost black, but not black. So, it's too dark for dark brown leather and too brown to use on black. I recommend Mid Brown or Havana Cigar if you want to match Fiebing's Dark Brown.]
Edited by dcobranding

There's an American company called Ronso. They make a braided thread very similar to Tiger thread and just as good.

I can't remember where and when I bought it, but I have two large spools of it, so it must have been good.

I'm a linen addict so it's just taking up space in the drawer now

There's an American company called Ronso. They make a braided thread very similar to Tiger thread and just as good.

I can't remember where and when I bought it, but I have two large spools of it, so it must have been good.

I'm a linen addict so it's just taking up space in the drawer now

simon what types of linen thread are you using. I really like the fil au chinois I have and ordered a few samples of royalwood that should be here tomorrow but Im looking for other good alternatives since the filauchinois is so pricey.

simon what types of linen thread are you using. I really like the fil au chinois I have and ordered a few samples of royalwood that should be here tomorrow but Im looking for other good alternatives since the filauchinois is so pricey.

its actually crawford linen I ordered not royalwood.

I'm using linen thread from Barbour, Somac, Hoogen and Crawford.

Fil au chinois is nice but too expensive.

I've been using 0.8mm from China that's similar to Tiger. Less than $10 shipped per 250m spool and discounts for buying more. It just takes a couple weeks for delivery.

.8mm Waxed Braided Thread

.8mm braided thread on the card wallet

Edited by JoeSnuffie

Think I may try that out, Joe, so thanks for the heads up. :)

Is this the provider that you buy from over ebay, by the way?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leather-Sewing-Thread-Waxed-For-Leather-Hand-Stitching-120g-250M-DIY-/161008161504?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item257cd592e0 (sorry for the long link)

I just got some from Windmill Saddlery in Ohio $47 . It is fantastic for lacing a saddle together or stitching tops on boots, but I sure don't understand using it where it would be seen. Looks like fishing line to me.

JoeSnuffie,

Do you have an idea of how this compares to Tiger thread? I'd be curious to know if its a less expensive but similar alternative.

I use Tiger and Mainethread, depending on what I'm making.

well, i've read all of the posts in this trhead and i'm interested in trying some tiger thread. i like that it comes in colors. so, this stuff is braided polyester? wow! that braiding has to really add to it's strength.

what size would one use to stitch watchbands? i'm thinking maybe 10 SPI. would .6mm be the right size?

with apologies to the OP - i didn't mean to hijack this thread, but this question might be applicable.

black stitching on the right is 0.6 tiger thread at 10 SPI, I think that is a little too full looking for a watch strap, white thread is 832 Lin Cable, which is too thin, I'd go for 532 or 632 depending on the look you are after.

H7s9ZCr.jpg

I'm currently waiting for my order of 0.8mm Chinese poly thread, that I got over ebay. I know that a lot of people swears to Tiger Thread (and understandably so), but unfortunately I can't afford to buy the thread at the moment and will have to find a cheaper alternative that I can use besides my Barbour linen thread.

macca - thank you for posting the pictures! i appreciate it very much. i wonder if, after looking at these pictures, the 832 might be o.k. if smaller holes were used. maybe a smaller awl instad of a pricking iron. just thinking out loud.

this brings up another question......if tiger thread (or it's braided equivalent) is used, how do you attach the thread to the needle? surely you can't use the traditional method of piercing the needle and making the loop and then waxing it down, can you?

Edited by ramrod

macca - thank you for posting the pictures! i appreciate it very much. i wonder if, after looking at these pictures, the 832 might be o.k. if smaller holes were used. maybe a smaller awl instad of a pricking iron. just thinking out loud.

this brings up another question......if tiger thread (or it's braided equivalent) is used, how do you attach the thread to the needle? surely you can't use the traditional method of piercing the needle and making the loop and then waxing it down, can you?

It's actually easier to pierce the thread with braided. It doesn't unravel when pierced, so you can make the tail relatively short. I also don't bother waxing it down with Tiger thread, as it's pretty waxy off the spool. I do wax the Chinese thread a bit, as it is less waxy off the reel.

Has anybody else who has tried both Tiger and Chinese noticed that the Chinese seems to be a little thinner than Tiger? I suspect it might just be that the Tiger thread is "plumped up" with wax, but there is a noticeable difference when viewed side by side 1mm by 1mm.

Bill

Sorry, I've been out for a couple weeks.

Camerius, that is the seller I have been using. I've ordered 3 times now and am very pleased with my orders.

JohnD,I've never used Tiger Thread but someone who has used both mentioned once that the Chinese thread stretches more and they wouldn't use it for things like horse tack where a little stretch would be a big problem. I'm using it for wallets, small bags, sheaths, bracelets, etc., and it's perfect for me.

Thanks Joe,

I ordered a sample pack of all the colors they (the China stuff) offer and plan to do a side by side comparison. I don't make any horse tack, so that stretch shouldn't be an issue for me.

Although its nothing like Tiger thread, which I really like using, I've been considering just going exclusively with Mainethread's waxed poly, as its pretty good quality, easy to get, lots of sizes and colors and also that its made in USA.

Perfect, and thank you, Joe! :)