PonyEdwards

My Singer 29K58 Needs Replacing, Suggestions For A New Patcher?

I've been using a Singer 29K58 in the construction of some of my leather bustiers, but according to my understanding of the instructions provided by Wiz, it's worn out. My local guys won't touch rebuilding it, too old, too expensive, etc... One of my local dealers has a new one for $1895, or thereabouts but it's of no name I've ever heard of.

Now before anyone gets too excited, I do have and occasionally use my Pfaff 545 walking foot to reinforce my seams, but it can be challenging at times to force some of the curves under the needle assembly. I know what I want it to do, just don't know how to get what I need at an affordable price, or enough to know if what I'm being offered is the best bang for the buck.

So, what I'm looking for is some info on what is currently being made, not what was once made and long since discontinued, or no longer in production.

Thanks

I create my bustiers through a wet molding process, forming, trimming & cutting as I shape them to their final look. See attached photo:

I agree may be the new one Bob kovar is selling al rigged up I think it's around $1,500 bucks or so . Don't quote me for price but I read and see that it's a nice machine ck them from the banner on top at Toledo sewing machine company. That said I bet you could get your machine fixed up sounds like parts are still available if you find the right person to do it , Even Bob might be able to help call him or email he's done lots of them . Gary

Otherwise I´d look for one of the more "modern" Singer patcher like 29K71, 29K72, 29K73, these were the last models Singer made as far as I know. But maybe there are some younger Jap. made Singer patcher they have a U instead of a K as suffix.

A 29k58 can be fixed.

Call Bob Kovar.

I agree with Darren, there are more than enough parts out there for this machine.

I own both a 29k71 and a 29k172. The 71 has a small bobbin and short arm, while the 172 has a larger bobbin and a longer arm.

If you want a different brand, look for an Adler 30-7 or 30-70. Some folks own Claes patchers. Darren Brosowski also sells a unique type of patcher.

I have seen the Cowboy patcher that is sold at Toledo Industrial. It is rock solid. He has a web page describing Cowboy patchers. Our other dealers also sell their brands of patchers. Ask them all about prices and warranties. Tis better to buy something new when going into actual production.

Muzisch,

Starting with the 29k58 series which included the 2K60 and 62, all these machines since then can be rebuilt since they have the replaceable horn. Almost all parts are interchangeable on the 29K58, 62, 70, 71, 73, 171, 173 . Obviously, the big bobbin models 29K60, 72 and 172 have different drive pinions, shuttle carriers, bobbins, hooks. Rebuilding it will be cheaper than a new one.

glenn

Need I point out that part of the wear on patchers happens inside the drive ring and cam? It's not just the easy stuff that needs to be rebuilt. It depends on how the machine was used and abused. I recently replaced the driving cam in my k71 and the new part is different than the original. The action is not as fluid and binds in certain conditions. When I get time I will take the head apart and try modifying the new part.

I bought a new shuttle driver and its gear, as well and the following gear and racks for my k172. The parts that actually fit bound up 100% in 1/2 revolution. The following gear wouldn't even go onto the shaft. I had to reinstall the old parts and use Locktight Blue to get the machine back into sewing condition. That was after dinking with it for two days. There is so much work needed to make some new parts fit like the originals did that it may not be worth the time and expense.

Our other dealers also sell their brands of patchers. Ask them all about prices and warranties. Tis better to buy something new when going into actual production.

Here ya go Wiz:

Techsew patchers

Cobra patcher