Riemer

Custom Die/clicker Die Manufacturer

I wanted to know if anyone has had successful and pleasurable dealings with a die manufacturer. I don't want/need to buy a clicker, but instead would like to simply use my mallet. I'm not certain as to if there is a different kind of die I would need because of this. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

If you do a search for "mallet die" (including the quotes) you'll find a few threads with a little information including a supplier.

Tom

I've had several made from Texas Custom Dies. I use a modified shop press as a clicker and they work great. They also make mallet dies as far as I know. http://www.texascustomdies.com/

-Andy

Theres a few. Dixon, tippmann, texas custom dies.

Mallet dies can be made on request for extra. I use a wood tool for dies that can be used on regular dies, just so I can get a die clicker and not have to get them rebuilt. http://elfitakorea.blogspot.ae/2014/03/ovangkol-punching-hammer.html. The tool is not strong enough or hard enough to damage your dies.

Also consider that the dies are handmade so if the piece needs to be accurate it should be a wood form die (computer cut wood grooved and the metal die sit in the groove), or a machined die. Do request that your pattern needs 90 degrees corners as the standard for steel rule dies are they are bent and corners are curved.The manufacturer will need to cut at the corner and weld the two pieces for a 90 degree corner, however they can get pretty close to 90 degrees if they are careful. The curve is perfect for the edges preventing dog eared wear and tear.

I have a few issues with the dies I have matching up, they are made within 1mm of the design in some cases Ex. if you are making a wallet and the two pieces need to sit flush, one might be made 1.5mm too long and can cause issues for alignment. But is only a concern if you need pieces to sit flush. Machined or wood form are the choices for exact specs, otherwise steel rule dies are fine.

Edited by DavidL

Steel rule dies are not suitable for use as mallet dies. But you can use an arbor press with a couple pieces of 3/8" or thicker steel plate to spread the force. The larger the die, the stronger press you need to use. (and maybe more bites to be able to cut longer or wider pieces) Standard index card size die is easy to use with a 1 ton arbor press as an example of force required for size.

Tom

I'm a bit late to the party here but I too build custom clicker dies. you can visit us at

http://www.pro-dies.com there is also a link to my facebook page there to see more of my work.

Edited by clicker