Jarl

Book binding?

So I havent been able to find any books at my local bookstores about book binding. What I was hoping to do was make like a sketch book or something like that with nice carved covers and spine which theoretically I think I could put together. I was thinking of using a thicker leather close to a saddle leather and using a V gouge to differentiate between spine and the two covers but the problem comes down to how to do the pages and so forth. If anyone could throw any useful information in my direction or point me towards a decent book I would greatly appreciate it.

-Jesse

Jesse.......... Check this out www.hollanders.com

then check out the supplies. this might be of help to you

I have a couple of books on this subject, that I haven't had the opportunity to explore as yet...

"Hand Bookbinding: A Manual of Instruction", by Aldren A. Watson, 1986, and

"The Craft of Bookbinding", by Manly Banister, 1975

Both books, plus several others, are available from Amazon.com. They both seem to give pretty good instructions on bookbinding, but between the two, I like Watson's book a little better because the illustrations are a little clearer to me.

Hope this helps...

Kate

There was a woman in the PittPounders guild, I think her name was Sharon, who did a class on it at a show I was at years ago. Maybe Johanna or another person here remembers her? She was really terrific!

So I havent been able to find any books at my local bookstores about book binding. What I was hoping to do was make like a sketch book or something like that with nice carved covers and spine which theoretically I think I could put together. I was thinking of using a thicker leather close to a saddle leather and using a V gouge to differentiate between spine and the two covers but the problem comes down to how to do the pages and so forth. If anyone could throw any useful information in my direction or point me towards a decent book I would greatly appreciate it.

-Jesse

How about a second thin piece of leather sewn into the back side and slip the sketch pad in? Here are two journals I recently made:

DSC03787.JPG DSC03788.JPG

RGS_outside_front.JPG RGS_inside_front.JPG RGS_inside_back.JPG

...and here are some articles about binding:

http://www.pslac.org/public/01_jan07.pdf

http://www.pslac.org/public/11_nov02.pdf

http://www.pslac.org/public/07_jul02.pdf

post-82-1201189420_thumb.jpg

post-82-1201189451_thumb.jpg

post-82-1201189513_thumb.jpg

post-82-1201189534_thumb.jpg

post-82-1201189554_thumb.jpg