hannahandcrafts

Industrial Machine Sews Delicate Fabric?

Probably a dumb question but must be asked.

Ive been using a domestic $200 sewing machine to sew all kinds of fabrics except leather. I just ordered a juki dnu1541s and wondering if I should chuck my domestic machine all together and use the juki for everything I sew from now on? I was told the juki smallest recommended needle is #18. I've been using primarily needle #11-14. Will the bigger needle make too big of a hole at the seam for thinner more delicate fabrics?

Hanna

depends on what you are sewing and what machines you have. I have 4 sewing machines and would not miss one of them. Though I don´t use them all every day but you never know what it is good for.

I sew delicate stuff and thin leather ( like lambskin ) on a Kachiran 4084D*..does straight ( lockstitch ) and zig-zags ( for elastics ) etc and has inbuilt IDT..or DFT ..a sort of inbulit walking foot ( puller )..I only make my designs into prototypes before sending the designs and the prototypes as "control samples" for production..

*"Mechanical" ( non computerised ) machine like a Pfaff select 4 ( uses the same parts etc ,but has more stitches )..also goes by the name of Gritzner 4084D in some markets..used in a lot of colleges to teach sewing..

Very good with silks and silks and leather combo work..and can be run real slow..But it doesn't like more than 3/16 to 1/4 of leather ( only has a 90w motor )..But it doesn't mark leather at all. :)

IIWY..I'd keep your old machine to do the lighter more delicate textile and leather work..

Edited by mikesc

Loose weaves won't be a problem. Tight weaves you will see a big hole around the thread. If the material is worked a bit, the holes may close in somewhat. You may have some "fun" getting your tension balanced using a large needle and small diameter thread. Then have to reset it to go back to leather.

Tom

I don't think that you are going to get the same feeding of thin cloth as canvas, vinyl, denim and leather, on the 1541. You may have to lower the presser feet to their minimum alternating lift. Back off the top pressure screw over the presser foot. Then, load standard garment weight cotton or polycore thread into a bobbin and readjust the bobbin tension for a minimal pull tension. Back off the top tension to center the knots. Use a #12 or 14 round or sharp point system 135x17 Schmetz needle.

Your biggest enemy will be the large needle hole in the feed dog and the rectangular cutout in which it moves. Your friend is Juki's new square drive feed dog, if your machine is so-equipped. Ask Ron. I think with reduced foot pressures and thread tensions, you can sew light cloth, with testing and practice.

Edited by Wizcrafts

On 11/12/2014 at 12:00 AM, mikesc said:

I sew delicate stuff and thin leather ( like lambskin ) on a Kachiran 4084D*..does straight ( lockstitch ) and zig-zags ( for elastics ) etc and has inbuilt IDT..or DFT ..a sort of inbulit walking foot ( puller )..I only make my designs into prototypes before sending the designs and the prototypes as "control samples" for production..

*"Mechanical" ( non computerised ) machine like a Pfaff select 4 ( uses the same parts etc ,but has more stitches )..also goes by the name of Gritzner 4084D in some markets..used in a lot of colleges to teach sewing..

Very good with silks and silks and leather combo work..and can be run real slow..But it doesn't like more than 3/16 to 1/4 of leather ( only has a 90w motor )..But it doesn't mark leather at all. :)

IIWY..I'd keep your old machine to do the lighter more delicate textile and leather work textile Lab Dyeing Machine..

What do you guys use to sew quilts, tarps, etc. with? I don't have a sewing machine, but I know my wife has wanted to get one for some time. Maybe now is the time:) Thanks for your help,

Edited by ariannacraig

On 11/11/2014 at 9:58 PM, Wizcrafts said:

I don't think that you are going to get the same feeding of thin cloth as canvas, vinyl, denim and leather, on the 1541.

Sewing ultra fine thin, soft supple leather and using a 1541 . That was how I pretty much picked-up a good deal once on a 'very lightly' used 1541 . Was a local to me that did fine garment leather design. He bought it to add to his machines . He found that the 1541 it was just to little much machine for his taste in thin and soft materials he used . So I picked it off him, and saved and couple hundred plus+ shipping cost.