Monticore

realy soft leather

I just got soft super soft 6-7oz bison but i am having a hard time making precise cuts due to the leather thickness and suppleness it tends to stretch/pulls/roll is there a trick to handling this type of leather.

would sticking it into the freezer help ?

thanks again

cory

Edited by Monticore

Really sharp blades are a must. I have taped the flesh side with box tape in the past to keep it from pulling or stretching during the cut.

A STRAIGHT EDGE AND A NEW UTILITY KNIFE BLADE WORKS FOR ME.

i made sure to use a new blade in my utility knife, i think the problem is it was folded over making near 6-7mm thick so if i use too much pressure it compresses the leahter and if i don;t use enough(with my metal ruler) it slides/pulls, i might be cutting to slow i will try some bees wax on the blade and faster cut so it doesn't grab.

if i cut it to size before folding/gluing it is so soft i will have a hard time aligning the edges.

I find it helps a great deal, when cutting parts from very soft leather, to line the flesh side with packing tape. That helps it stay firm and flat while it's being cut.

Kate

When I cut soft leather such as chap leather or suede, I use a rotary cutter. I bought it at a sewing store. I run it along my straight edge just like I would my utility knife.

Cory,

I use a round knife for most cuts and with the softer hides You definately have to roll the knife edge rather than push it.(as with roler knife) Keep your knife closer to your body, the more you reach the less control you have.

A tip for utility knives. I resahrapen mine. I hate new blades because the machine cuts cause too much drag when cutting. An old mule skinner first taught me to strop the util. blade as you would your swivel knife. When I got my paper wheel sharpening outfit I went to it for sharpening my utility knife blades(use small visegrips to hold), haven't baught blades for I don't know how long. Cheers GH

When I got my paper wheel sharpening outfit

Very interesting - but what is a paper wheel sharpening outfit? Have you got a picture or two please?

Most chap leathers are 4 oz or less, and soft enough to be a pain to cut with anything other than a rotary blade - I have several, and find the best one is one that takes a 1 3/4" blade, dials in from 'light to heavy', depending on the leather you plan to cut, and, because I'm left-handed, I especially like the ones that can be flipped over to accomodate either left or right use. My assistant is right-handed, so this is a plus...I don't remember if I purchased this one in the pix at the local Walmart (Sewing section), or from one of my supply catalogs...it is marked 'RS-45', made in Japan, and I think it has KAI on the handle...one of those logo sort of brand name things...might be able to see it in these scans...

These can be flipped over, so you can see the edge of this blade on the line you want to cut on. the other styles of cutters don't make it as easy to work with as this version...I have several, and both of us will use this particular cutter over the others...so it's not just a 'left-handed' thing! ;)

ScannedImage.jpg

ScannedImage_2.jpg

post-7047-1225998608_thumb.jpg

post-7047-1225998633_thumb.jpg

I like the rotary cutters for soft garment weight leathers. I worked briefly in a shop making leather clothing and we used lead shot bags to anchor the hide down. All cutting was done with a surgical scalpel.

Barra