David

New seat...called it Sturgis Cross

A customer sent me a photo of a shirt purchased at Sturgis. She liked the cross but wanted to add some.........skulls (what else? With wings no less!) Now I'm not a skull kind of guy but hey, she is the customer after all.

I did a sketch for her which she liked. The drape on the cross changed from an American flag to just a cloth drape..... so here we go with the latest seat.

The first day I cut my patters and I traced the design onto the leather.

That was about all I finished that first day.

IMG_1359.JPG

IMG_1360.JPG

post-5652-1225846010_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1225846023_thumb.jpg

Edited by David

Day two, was a Saturday, so I had all day to work on it and I cut the entire design and finished the tooling. It was a long day.

IMG_1361.JPG

post-5652-1225846273_thumb.jpg

The seat was requested to be for a "show bike" so to me that means decorative lacing. So a lot more holes were punched in the front and rear leathers. The name was added to the rear leather. And the decorative lace was added to the front on day 3.

IMG_1362.JPG

IMG_1363.JPG

IMG_1364.JPG

post-5652-1225846670_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1225846681_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1225846699_thumb.jpg

That is awesome David. I'd hate to sit on it. I'd hang it up on the wall.

Art

Day 4, the only thing remaining to do before the pan arrived was to add the decorative lacing to the rear leather.

Don't hesitate to ask questions.... This may be as close as I get to a tutorial again.

Dave

IMG_1365.JPG

post-5652-1225846981_thumb.jpg

Very nice. I love the step by step pics, they will help alot in understanding how the whole thing goes together.

David, I love how clean you have your carving lines...

What weight of leather do you use for this seat?

David, I love how clean you have your carving lines...

What weight of leather do you use for this seat?

Matthew,

The leather is 6-7 oz (closer to 7 oz.) both top and bottom. I purchase from Wickett and Craig.

David Theobald

Edited by David

Matthew,

The leather is 6-7 oz (closer to 7 oz.) both top and bottom. I purchase from Wickett and Craig.

David Theobald

I think I might have to check them out for buying leather... this latest stuff I got in the 6-7 oz range wasn't that great IMO

I think I might have to check them out for buying leather... this latest stuff I got in the 6-7 oz range wasn't that great IMO

Give them a try, I've always been pleased.

David Theobald

Day 4, the only thing remaining to do before the pan arrived was to add the decorative lacing to the rear leather.

Don't hesitate to ask questions.... This may be as close as I get to a tutorial again.

Dave

Dave, I have several questions. I have never made a seat and have had a current holster customer ask if I could make one. He is asking for no art work just a leather (kinda distressed). I was wondering how you measure the layout. like length over the actual pan and how you lay out your holes (best size for a punch, and ditance apart. Is the top and bottom a mirror image or should I make one smaller that the other and are the holes a mirror image like lacing a wallet?? I look forward to any suggestions and tips about pitfalls. Keep up your great work!

Dave, I have several questions. I have never made a seat and have had a current holster customer ask if I could make one. He is asking for no art work just a leather (kinda distressed). I was wondering how you measure the layout. like length over the actual pan and how you lay out your holes (best size for a punch, and ditance apart. Is the top and bottom a mirror image or should I make one smaller that the other and are the holes a mirror image like lacing a wallet?? I look forward to any suggestions and tips about pitfalls. Keep up your great work!

If you look at the photos of my front and back leathers, you will see that they are NOT the same by any means. I arrive at my patterns by covering the front (including padding) and rear with tape. When removed and flattened out it becomes the shape of my patterns. I use 1/4" lace pulled through 1/8" holes. They are about 1/8" from the edge and about 3/8" apart. All my lace is kangaroo. Since the front and rear leathers are not the same it requires a very careful layout of the holes. Lay your holes out around a centerline on the front and back pattern. Measure twice, punch once!

My seat construction will allow padding up to 3/4" thick. If he is wanting a real thick padded seat, contact Roger Harris (Roger here on the LW site) for techniques. or look at the tutorial by Paul Cox.

http://www.bikernet.com/garage/coxseat.asp

Hope this helps,

Dave Theobald

Dave

Edited by David

David, seeing your work always makes me wish I had gotten into making seats, but when I got around to market research around here the custom bike market has dropped off(with everything else) besides around here they are a bunch of snobs(wanta B hard guys)

I always like to see your work, clean lines, well thought out designs, tight consistant lace work... Are your back pockets wet yet from the arse kissing? :P

Always appreciate good work. :thumbsup: GH

That is awesome David. I'd hate to sit on it. I'd hang it up on the wall.

Art

I have to agree with Art. Awesome work, David.

hello david

very clean and very nice work (but what else), a satisfied customer is you sure..................

greez

johann

David, Very nice as always. I'm interested in your lacing stitch. I'm not sure which one you did there. Can you tell me how you did it? Thanks, Locknut

Really great work as always. Thanks for inviting questions, not everyone out there will do that. (Unless they're members here, of course.) When you put the leather on the pan, is the edge lacing all that holds the leather to the pan, or do you glue the leather to the foam and the back of the pan?

David, Very nice as always. I'm interested in your lacing stitch. I'm not sure which one you did there. Can you tell me how you did it? Thanks, Locknut
This decorative stitch is a simple single loop stitch, it's taught in all of Tandy's basic lacing books.Dave
Really great work as always. Thanks for inviting questions, not everyone out there will do that. (Unless they're members here, of course.) When you put the leather on the pan, is the edge lacing all that holds the leather to the pan, or do you glue the leather to the foam and the back of the pan?
The edge lacing is all that holds the leather to the pan. I don't use any glue to on my seats at all.Dave Theobald

David,

As always VERY NICE! :thumbsup:

On the skull patterns, do you use basic patterns and fill in the details or the pats detailed? Noting the skulls are similar but the details are different.

Thanks

Johnny

Dave, That tutorial is as awesome as they come! Seeing how you construct your seas and the care and attention to small details is fantastic!

You said you were waiting on the pan... would you mind sharing where you get your pans from? I've looked everywhere for a nice pan at a reasonable price, but can't find one I'm happy with yet...

Thanks for the advice and the inspiration! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Not a Skull guy??

Not a skull guy??

How can you not be a skull guy? Your skulls look great as does the entire seat.

For not being a skull guy... You nailed it. LOL

Allen

Not a Skull guy??

Not a skull guy??

How can you not be a skull guy? Your skulls look great as does the entire seat.

For not being a skull guy... You nailed it. LOL

Allen

When I say I'm not a skull guy, I mean that I think skulls have been WAY over done by bikers. I would rather do something a bit more off the beaten path. With the wide variety seen in the world of tattoo art, I find much more inspiration there rather than trying to do something unusual with a skull.

Dave

Howdy Dave

Great looking seat.

One little note, be very careful of carving skulls with wings like that. It is way too close to the Hell's

Angels Logo. If one of the sees that seat they will cut it to shreads. I've done work for them in the past and had to have permission on their letterhead before I did the work. I've seen them kick the crap out of a guy who had a TAT the was not even as close as your carving to their logo.

Just a word of caution.

WC

Getting close to being finished now. The seat pan gets preped with washers and padding, then the padding trimmed to final shape. The seat back is riveted on and the seat front tied in place. Then the lacing starts.

David Theobald

IMG_1370.JPG

IMG_1371.JPG

IMG_1372.JPG

IMG_1373.JPG

IMG_1374.JPG

IMG_1375.JPG

IMG_1376.JPG

IMG_1377.JPG

post-5652-1226090037_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1226090048_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1226090061_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1226090073_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1226090083_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1226090100_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1226090111_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1226090122_thumb.jpg

Here is the final installment on this one.

Dave

IMG_1384.JPG

IMG_1385.JPG

post-5652-1226164711_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1226164722_thumb.jpg