HARVEY

Formula For Determining Thread Lengths?

Is there a ratio/formula to use to determine the approximate length of thread you'd use in sewing something? Example: let's say you're making a 13 1/2"x10" notepad holder, and going to stitch it with 6 stitches to the inch (all approximates of course). Is there a formula which works out the approximate amount of thread that'll be used?

Thanks!

For hand stitching, saddle stitch, 2 layers of 8-9 oz I multiply the stitch length times 6 and have never come up short and normally don't waste a lot either.

I'm sure there's some overly complicated equation for determining thread length, but most of us use some variation of the seam length measurement. I work mainly in 5-6 oz and 7-8 oz, for saddle stitching I consistently rely on 5X the seam length, unless I'm sewing a seam shorter than 6", then I'll bump it up to 6X the length.

Regardless of what you use, 4X ,5X ,6X, etc, you'll find that the longer your seam the more thread you'll have left over and the shorter the seam the more you'll need.

Edited by anhurset

I don't do a lot of saddle or other hand stitching, . . . but when I do, . . . I cut off a 6 foot piece, . . . and go from there.

It's fairly easy to hide a splice, . . . I only have to deal with 36 inches of thread on each side, . . . and if I do cut off a longer piece, . . . I usually wind up dragging it through something that will discolor it or get it dirty.

And, . . . if there is any left over, . . . they go up in my thread cache, . . . pulled down later to hang pictures, . . . sew a short piece, . . . wrap a package, . . . or whatever, . . . it becomes my substitute for mom's ball of twine.

May God bless,

Dwight

When I'm sewing knife sheaths from 3 to 3.5 mm leather (about 8 oz) I use 5 X the length or run of the seam to be sewn. Don't forget you will need to do a bit of backstitching at each end

So, try 5 X, see how you go, and build up your experience & knowledge. Compared with the time, effort, and cost of the leather and any other materials thread is cheap, so at least to start with, use a longer rather than shorter piece of thread.

Some of it depends on the thread you are using and the length of run you are stitching.

For example, waxed linen thread or even various man-made twisted threads can come pretty frayed especially if you are stitching a long run like a belt. You just can't drag organic thread through stitching hole umpteen times without inflicting a good deal of damage to it. That damage will show more and more towards the end of the run and by the time you've gotten back to the beginning it will be quite noticeable. Better to use several shorter lengths of thread and learn to slice them seamlessly.

Man-made woven threads (e.g., Tiger) tend to be more durable but stitching a 44" belt asks a lot of any single length of thread no matter what it's made of or how it's constructed.

Michelle