alexitbe

Oh Dear, What Have I Bought....? :)

Last night, I was down in the dumps about my Singer 29K not being economical to refurb....

So I bid on something on ebay. It said it was something to do with saddle making so I thought I would roll the dice...

Any ideas on what it may be?

$_57.JPG

From this view looks like a fur machine. Cowboy Bob or Cobra Steve could probably tell you what it'll do.

This machine is called a serger.It is used for finishing the edges of material.When you look @ ebay it seems like people call anything & everything a leather machine even little hame machines !!

This one looks like a Chinese copy of a Singer 81 you might look one Singer site for threading info,it uses 3 spools.

I use a serger when I hem cloth pants, skirts, etc. If you tune it up and sharpen the blade, it will lay down a nice overcast stitch on denim jeans.

anchor.jpg

???

Good Luck!

Bob

Alex,

you should probably first try to get some proper information about sewing machines in general before throwing good money after bad. Buying a sewing machine for leather can be tricky when you are new to this.

In this thread WIZCRAFT once put together a lot of useful information:

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=25239

Arthur Porter (also a LW Forum Member) also made a good video about leather sewing machines:

Take your time and read the entire thread and watch the video - it´s really helpful.

When you find a machine on Ebay or local and you are not sure about it just post some picture or a link here and ask for opinions. When the machine is gone meanwhile then another one will pop up but just buying something "that just sews" does not make much sense.

Edited by Constabulary

Yes, I was stupid and impatient... To be honest, I didn't think I would win it...I put a really low bid in.

Thank you all for your information!

It seems like it might be an ok machine to have, IF it works...

I am going to ban myself from ebay for a while... Until I have some idea on what I am doing...

Cheers

Alex

Ebay sellers often don´t know what they have. They have found machines in a barn or an attic or have inherited a machine or what ever and then they check Google images and at a first glance and w/o a detailed research a Singer 31K looks like a Singer 45k (kind of).

Most machines are build for a certain application (a serger cannot sew 1/2 leather and so forth). They of course have a bit of a application range but don´t rely on private Ebay sellers and their knowledge. It is important that you know what you need and not what others "think" what they have.

Yes, I was stupid and impatient... To be honest, I didn't think I would win it...I put a really low bid in.

Thank you all for your information!

It seems like it might be an ok machine to have, IF it works...

I am going to ban myself from ebay for a while... Until I have some idea on what I am doing...

Cheers

Alex

Unless you are doing tailoring, the serger will be of little use to you. You should contact any dry cleaners or tailors, or seamstresses in the area and see if you can off load it at cost. Sergers like yours don't sew leather, just soft cloth. Their purpose is to cast a tight layer of thread over the edge to prevent the material from fraying.

What Bob said.

Also known as an overlocker.

Will disagree on country of origin though as it looks more like a Japanese version of the 81.

They are also still in production in India.