Yeldarb

Messenger Bag Side Issue

I have been making my first few messenger bags and have been running into the following problem.

- The top of the sides pop out (image attached)

The last bag I made, I tapered the top of the sides in hopes to fix the issue but still ran into it. I would like to find a way to solve it without just making the flap that comes over the top wider.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

- Brad

post-37172-0-09945100-1417399858_thumb.j

Yeldarb, when I did my first one I had the same problem. I wet the veg tanned I was using and made a crease in it, and put a Chicago screw through the top of the fold. I guess the best way would be to narrow your gusset as you head toward the top. Cheryl

Instead of a lap seam, you could try turning the gusset edge out, so both the front and the gusset edges are together, sticking out. The gusset will then naturally curl inwards instead of outwards. Depends on the style and appearance you are looking for.

Tom

I feel like people expect the gusset to pop out with the style you're currently making. Like Tom said, a different seam would fix your problem, but give you a different look. Does it still stick out when the bag is full and weight put on the straps?

Another option is to make the sides longer than the front and have 'ears' that fold in